The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree194Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Most Memorable Fish of 2012

I'm gonna go with this guy - a native brookie from the Saugatuck River Click the image to open in full size.
back in March - fishing the head of a pool for 30 minutes with nothing happening I threw a sloppy downstream cast and let the current take up the slack and lazily stripped the line back in when he slammed the green flash pheasant tail - the runs and aerobatics this fish performed were the best action my vintage Fenwick has seen to date -
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
I threw a sloppy downstream cast -
For me, there is nothing else.

Love native brookies. Nice fish.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-11-2013, 11:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

hands down!

Click the image to open in full size.

daughters first trumps all!!

casey

ARFE
Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 PM

nyyankees is on a distinguished road
Default Most Memorable Fish of 2012

This was my most memorable of the year as it was my first Steelhead. Manistee River, MI
Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 PM

nyyankees is on a distinguished road
Default Most Memorable Fish of 2012

Thanks Dan!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees View Post

This was my most memorable of the year as it was my first Steelhead. Manistee River, MI
Nothing like your first steelie anywhere!

Kelly.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

I love these kind of threads...some great fish everyone. I hope you all top em in 2013!

My most memorable fish of 2012 wasn't my biggest, it actually didn't make my top 5 for heaviest fish this year. I have been after a 20+ lb mirror carp for 5-6 years now. I have hooked mirrors that big, but something always seemed to go wrong and I would lose the fish. This year it finally came together. I spotted this big girl cruising the outside of a bay from about 100 feet away. I was able to sneak into position and waited for her to get close. When she was about 35 feet away I put the fly in front and counted it down to the bottom. The big carp stopped, and slowly followed the fly down. As big as she was, I still lost sight of her due to the water depth, so I counted in my head, guessing at how long it would take her to get to the fly...then I set th hook. A few minutes later and my long standing goal of a 20 lb mirror was finally a reality. She tipped my digital scale at just over 24 lbs...

I caught bigger fish this year, saw much more impressive takes and had a lot more difficult and cool "stalks" but this fish was years in the making. To finally land a big mirror made my fishing year.

On to 2013!
mcnerney, Guest1 and pkins44 like this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine would have to be a 16" brown caught on my first night fly fishing trip. Eight fingers turned into thumbs as I thrashed and splashed about loosing equilibrium in the dark stepping upon cobblestones. Was having fun but knew this night would serve more as a guide for improvement than anything else. Planned to move so stripped to the leader and was lifting the rod when I felt the tug.

You know how sometimes your mind can work thru a scenario in half a second that normally takes 10. I'm hung up but felt like a fish, no, waters to shallow, set the hook anyway... I set the hook and literally slid the fish maybe a foot into water too shallow for him to swim. Got the net under him slipped the hook and took a snap shot in probably less than a minute. Happened so quickly it didn't even seem real, guess that's why its become so memorable to me.

Dave
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

i think this photos ended up in the small stream photo thread earlier this year but i have to say the memories of this early spring day have stuck with me all year.

sustained 20 miles per hour winds and gusts into the 30-40's made tossing small nymphs near impossible. doing the best not to waste a 3 hour drive, i fished back to the wind when i could as well as under bridges.

my last fish of the day came making side arm cast huddled under a bridge and turned out to be my personal best brookie...

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing