The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree194Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Most Memorable Fish of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

This was my most memorable of the year as it was my first Steelhead. Manistee River, MI
Nice Hen,
Nice Stormy Kromer made right here in MI in the UP
Im going up this weekend for a steel run. Weather not in our favor though.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 AM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough

I don't know if I have a best fish that I caught but I did get to watch a good buddy catch a 24 in bow one evening this summer. Also got to watch another friend catch his first golden in the Winds and he was a toad.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Mine would have to be this hog of a crappie. I'm not a real crappie fan (the ones around here generally throw in the towel as soon as they are hooked and swim towards your rod) but this one is special because I didn't know they were in the pond. I have fished this pond with my friend since I was little (mostly with spin rod and hand lines, however, but I had never even seen a crappie there. At the end of the fall this past year, I was throwing a few last casts for the day when this fish gulped up my small wooly bugger. I thought it was a bass and was very surprised to find out it was a crappie. Aside from the size, it was a beautiful fish, made even prettier by the fall foliage and the time of day. Here he is:

mcnerney and gt05254 like this.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Humbled by your fish, folks.

Mine is a toss up:
1) My first fish on a fly, 8" wild brown on Cimarron NM
2) My first 20" fish, 20" brown on Missouri MO
3) First snook on a fly, ~28" snook Sanibel FL
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Mine wouldn't be an individual fish but rather a species. I tried my hand at carp on the fly this last summer. Got addicted right out of the gate. Cant wait till the mulberry hatch this spring..haha. Like fishing bones on the flats!!! Spooky fish, but fool em and they'll smash a fly with abandon. Cant wait.
mcnerney and john montana like this.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

time to rename this thread to "most memorable fish of 2013"
i'm still froze up like a iceberg
so no entries from me for awhile.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-28-2013, 10:44 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Mine would have to be a 10" wild brown I caught on a wild stream in my hometown. It's a very small stream and the fish a ultra spooky. I caught several that day but this was a real beauty. The part that makes it the most memorable is the fact I had to crouch down behind a rock just to keep from spooking the entire hole! I was so excited when I hooked that brown I practically jumped in to the hole and spooked the rest of em!
mcnerney likes this.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 03-01-2013, 03:22 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

A 9" brookie from the Boardman in Michigan. I saw him rising near a purple flower on the bank, worked into position, cast a comparadun thing I tied up. On the 3rd cast, right next to that purple flower, I hooked and landed it. Pretty satisfying.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

My most memorable fish EVER! After 3-4 summers of pursuing golden trout high up in the Wind River and Beartooth mountains, I had caught many fish but my largest goldens topped out at only a foot. I finally hit paydirt when I stuck this beautiful creature right below timberline on the eastern side of the Winds in Aug 2012. I would catch many nice goldens up to 18" on this particular lake (pics in the Rocky Mtn region forum), but this was my first ever larger golden trout. It cut the tape right at 15.5" and was built like a 747 Jumbo with that small head and humped back. This amazing trout stands out as my shining achievement ever as a backcountry angler. Golden trout are my favorite species of trout by far because of their amazing sporting qualities and the unsurpassed beauty of their alpine habitat.

I am so proud of this fish because after many summers of actively hunting larger goldens, this was my first. I finally had the pleasure of tangling with a strong golden trout. As typical with others, this one repeatedly went airborne and made dazzling run after run into the deep water. One moment, you think the fish is coming to shore, then you are into your backing in an instant. I finally got it in, snapped a few pics, released it and literally jumped for joy and screamed out loud. I will never forget that moment and that trip.

mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
My most memorable fish EVER! After 3-4 summers of pursuing golden trout high up in the Wind River and Beartooth mountains, I had caught many fish but my largest goldens topped out at only a foot. I finally hit paydirt when I stuck this beautiful creature right below timberline on the eastern side of the Winds in Aug 2012. I would catch many nice goldens up to 18" on this particular lake (pics in the Rocky Mtn region forum), but this was my first ever larger golden trout. It cut the tape right at 15.5" and was built like a 747 Jumbo with that small head and humped back. This amazing trout stands out as my shining achievement ever as a backcountry angler. Golden trout are my favorite species of trout by far because of their amazing sporting qualities and the unsurpassed beauty of their alpine habitat.

I am so proud of this fish because after many summers of actively hunting larger goldens, this was my first. I finally had the pleasure of tangling with a strong golden trout. As typical with others, this one repeatedly went airborne and made dazzling run after run into the deep water. One moment, you think the fish is coming to shore, then you are into your backing in an instant. I finally got it in, snapped a few pics, released it and literally jumped for joy and screamed out loud. I will never forget that moment and that trip.

That is a true trophy to be able to catch a Golden of that size, congrats and to do it in such a gorgeous place, I just love the beauty of those Wind Mtn Range lakes.