The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5WT question / kicking the tires

I don't see where you really need it, but clearly you want it or you wouldn't be asking us. So I am going to go against the flow here and say get it. You can never have to many rods.
jaybo41 and wabi like this.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Money burning hole in your pocket, get a Hardy Zenith in 5 wt. man can never have to many toys.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Diver Dan and Billy, I wanted one kind of. The reason is asked though is the knuckleheads I fish with are bigger gear whores than me and make more money than I do. They keep saying get a 5WT and I keep telling I had a Legend Ultra 5Wt for 3 years that sat in the corner and got used once, so I sold it.

And the one time it got used wasn't necessary, it was more of s what the heck lets let that rod come out and play today

Now I will tell these guys to stuff it and try to convince me I need a 7wt

Billy I do drool over that Zenith....maybe a long 3WT is in my future
Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 590 Z-Axis. It will cast a 4,5,and 6wt GPX easily. Works in close, and out far. I gerally like to use my 486 ZXL, but switched to usingthe Z exclusivelythis past spring. I was catching a LOT of smallmouth ranging from 12-18 inches, and the ZXL just wasn't able to turn those monsters in a strong current. I bought a closeout Z Axis blank (5wt) for around $175, and a factory 490 ZAxis for $400. Being an idiot sometimes, I returned the both. I still regret that! I had intended to make the 490 my main rod, and use a 4 or 5wt line on it, depending on what the wind was doing, and how much weight I was throwing. In light winds, a ZAxis performs just dandy with heavy Clousers, but uplining by one weight will allow you to easily cast a ton of weight in some very windy conditons. It looks very nice as well, and after 5 years of heavy use, mine looks as fresh as the day I bought it. The ZXL has not held up as well cosmetically, but has hundreds and hundreds of hours on the stream.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 AM

codypom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
You can never have to many rods.
I keep telling my wife that, but she doesn't get it.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by codypom View Post
I keep telling my wife that, but she doesn't get it.
I think it was even mentioned in the bible!
Psalm 23:4 "......thy rod and thy staff they comfort me"

Just tell her it was a fly rod and wading staff they were talking about.