The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default 5WT question / kicking the tires

I need some feedback from you guys. If you were me and fished small streams 95% of the time and went to bigger water 4-6 times a year where sometimes a 5WT would be a good fit, would you buy one if you had

Legend Ultra 4WT
Z-Axis 4wt which to me is basically a 4 1/2 Wt
Orvis Hydros 6wt

I guess I feel like I can get by with the Z-Axis or if I know it's going to be windy and or throwing bigger rigs I grab the 6WT

Just your thoughts before I go blow a wad of cash.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5WT question / kicking the tires

up to you but i would keep my cash. i dont think a five would do that much that you couldnt do with your four or six. but then in a tightwad.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreller View Post
up to you but i would keep my cash. i dont think a five would do that much that you couldnt do with your four or six. but then in a tightwad.
I am a tightwad too, and a gear ***** at the same time so I don't want to lean a Sage One or Winston BiiiX in the corner for once a year usage
Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, you have your bases covered, drop the coin on something else if you must. When you need to cover more water and or throw larger flies, the 6wt will fit the bill. When you want a more delicate presentation and are fishing typical sizes, you are more than covered with your 490Z. That's a very capable fly rod.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Save the money and bring it down to the fly fishing show next weekend. I'm sure you'll find something to spend it on
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 PM

Thank Jaybo , I agree the Z can handle the bigger 4Wt stuff and I need to go light presentation with a 4WT the Legend Ultra or TXL 4wt will do the trick

William , that is what I'm afraid of was that I would grab a 5wt at the show next week.

Hmmm maybe I need to save my money for gas so I can have some weekend ventures this summer in the trailer.
williamhj likes this.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Thank Jaybo , I agree the Z can handle the bigger 4Wt stuff and I need to go light presentation with a 4WT the Legend Ultra or TXL 4wt will do the trick

William , that is what I'm afraid of was that I would grab a 5wt at the show next week.

Hmmm maybe I need to save my money for gas so I can have some weekend ventures this summer in the trailer.
That Z can throw some pretty heavily weighted stuff for a 4 wt to be honest. I had a #6 leech last year that had a good bit of tin wrapped on it and didn't have issues. I did have to adjust my casting stroke however.

Unless you are just itching for a new rod, I'd save the cash and use it for fishing trips, or treat yourself to a guide. Something you don't usually do.
And I do understand what it's like to want to add a new one to the quiver I'm generally always on the lookout, just in case.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I'd *try* to save the cash since you basically have bigger water covered with the 4wt Z and the 6wt. Perhaps a new reel if you don't already have one for every rod?

-Chase
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Yes I am always on the prowl for deals

I think I am going to get a new Ross Evo for my TXL 4wt "just because" and a Allen trout reel at the show , since I have been wanting to try their stuff out.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 AM

long bow will become famous soon enough

I'd say the best thing about a 5wt is it is between a 4wt and a 6wt so you don't need two rods for small streams and larger ones too. Sounds like you've got the fix my friend Save the cash!