The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 AM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default need help leader/tippet.

I have a simple question I just wanna make sure I'am right: This year I was only using 4-lb fluorocarbon leader/tippet and the summer I notice my dry flies were sinking fast. What kind of leader/tippet material is good for dry flies, Mono? So is fluorocarbon good/better for streamer/nymph fishing?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 02:23 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need help leader/tippet.

Flouro does tend to sink, though it's not always an issue in the lighter tippets. I usually use mono for dries though for very picky fish having the flouro can be helpful and light tippets don't tend sink the flies. Since different brands have different break strengths I'm not sure what 'x' tippet you were using, but 4lb could be around 5x? Did you see the tippet sinking and pulling the fly down or the other way around?

Unless you saw the tippet pull the fly under, I'd look to the fly rather than the tippet. If you're fishing a very small dry it might not be able to stay on the surface film with the 'x' tippet you're using. If it's 5x and you're fishing 20's or smaller consider dropping to 6x or 7x. Also, some dries don't float as well or as long as others. It can be the materials that recipe calls for or the quality / quantity of hackle, too much dubbing that is absorbing water. Additionally, if your dry is dragging across the current and being pulled under the water during the drift or retrieve that will tend to water-log them.
lightline likes this.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:46 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

What WHJ said. Also, I fish dries all season with flouro. Not a problem. If you think it might be the leader, put some floatant on the tippet to see. Gink or other liquid floatant will float your leader, though that isn't necessarily what I want because then its more visible. That would tell you if its the fly or the leader though. I'm betting its the flies. Use more floatant, or a different kind of floatant, on your dries.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I make my own "twisted" leaders out of mono (for dry fly fishing) and add a short section of appropriately sized mono for the attachment to the leader, then step down a couple "X" sizes for the final tippet the fly is tied to. (eg. 8# mono leader to 18" of 1X mono to 24" 3X flouro)
I've used flouro for the final tippet for the past year with no problems with dry flies sinking. Usually a 3X tippet and a #12 or #14 dry. That's a bit on the heavy side, but I'm fishing for bluegill most of the time and it doesn't seem to bother them. For smaller dry flies (eg. #16 Griffin's Gnat) I'll use 5X for the tippet.
(When I want to get deeper (nymphs & streamers) I use flouro for the entire leader/tippet construction.)
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

I fish dry almost exclusively.....my go to tippet is 6x Rio fluoro...and I go down to sz 24 flies with that. having said that i never use 5X fluoro......rather If I go to bigger dries I like using Mono because I do note heavier fluoro has a sinking effect. Also....if you are dry fly fishing there is absolutely no need to use a fluoro leader use a totally mono leader....just make your tippet fluoro.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Your tippet is supposed to sink when fishing a dry fly, be it mono or fluoro.

When your tippet is trapped in the water surface film, from below it looks like a crack or an arrow pointing toward your fly saying "I'm a fraud !"
jaybo41, wt bash, theboz and 1 others like this.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
I have a simple question I just wanna make sure I'am right: This year I was only using 4-lb fluorocarbon leader/tippet and the summer I notice my dry flies were sinking fast. What kind of leader/tippet material is good for dry flies, Mono? So is fluorocarbon good/better for streamer/nymph fishing?

Thanks
There seems to be some confusion. You say your flies are sinking BUT you DON'T say your tippet is sinking. Every reply so far assumes the tippet is the cause.

Secondly, you say the poundage of the tippet and not the "X" size. This leads me to think you are using regular spin fishing liner and not true tippet material. So are you using fishing line or tippet?

I don't think the tippet is the cause of the sinking fly. Treat the fly with fly floatant and dry and retreat it when it gets waterlogged. Squeeze the water out with Amadou or just a piece of paper towel, absorb the rest of the water using silica gel drying crystals, and then apply some more floatant.

You can use. A combination "shake & bake" floatant that has the drying crystals and powder floatant like Shimazaki Dry Shake or Loon Outdoors Top Ride.

Fluorocarbon tippet will not cause a fly to sink. To prove it to yourself, cut a piece and place it on a glass of water. The surface tension will float it. Even regular nylon monofilament has a higher specific gravity than water. Fresh mono or flourocarbon has a residual oily sheen from manufacturing that repels water. It has to be removed for the mono or fluorocarbon to sink easily. Fresh material floats.

See my post explaining more on fluorocarbon here:

Fluorocarbon

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Guys say I'am using a #14 Adams Dry with an 5x Orvis Mirage Fluorocarbon 7.5ft leader/tippet. After using some frog's fanny floatant maybe just a few casts later 3 or 4 my tippet begins to sink causing my fly to sink right a long with it. I just went on Orvis.com the strength is 4.75 lbs. It don't happen when I arrived maybe after a hour or 2 it begins to happen maybe the line is getting submerged too much?

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Maybe it's a defect some where.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:42 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

It will sink anyhow in time even when treated. How is your fly landing on the water? I don't false cast much but do when fishing a dry fly.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:56 PM

Personally I only make 4 or 5 false casts usually that's enough.