The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 01:51 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default What do you think about these for fly fishing out of ?

For small reservoir lakes, slow rivers (flat water) what do you think about these boats,,,the 10foot Pelican E would seem to be a decent choice ? My kayak ,,,with my back probs, isn't working out so well...so I may be switching.,,,,selling or trading it in on something else. I've never fished off one of these but my nephews and friends have and to the last one they say they are ultra stable and just,,,a neat fishing vessel.

http://directboats.com/20bara10efib.html

Mike
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What do you think about these for fly fishing out of ?

I'd buy an inflatable pontoon first. Much lighter weight, more portable, can still equip with trolling motor and sonar if desired, better for rivers, fin-maneuverable, in same price range or even less because no trailer is required. North Fork Outdoors has options galore, as do some others.

Now, if you want an outboard-powered "boat," then get a real boat, aluminum 12 footer or something, maybe a john boat.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

The people that have used these small 'pontoon' hard shell boats have told me that they are FAR more stable than an aluminum jon boat,,,unless you get a fairly 'big' jon boat. And,,,I really don't want another metal craft. Have had aluminum craft ,,canoes,, most of my life and would rather move away from that. I like the idea of swivel seats also....but could live without them (less twisting of an old back would be nice) I've fished a ton out of jon boats and I'd like something more stable too.

I've thought about the inflatables though,,,

I just went and looked at North Fork's site..that Excalibur seems like a really neat pontoon deal. Whatever way I go HAS to be two person,,,for me and my wife,,,or grandson ,,or a fishing buddy.

Wish he had prices on the site,, I think I'll be contacting him for some more info about that Excalibur,,,I kinda like that one at first impression.

Whatever way I do go,,,I know this. Setting dead at water level involves a lot of 'guess fishing' since you trying to view structure at water level...and I'm sorely disappointed in my choice to go with a kayak. Even a 'few more inches' in elevation would be a GREAT improvement in seeing what you are trying to fish into/around.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:48 AM

codypom is on a distinguished road

I have a 12' semi v aluminum boat powered with a 6hp outboard and 50lb trolling motor. It is perfect for the small/med size river that goes through my town. I occasionally fish on some small lakes that have motor restrictions, and it is also excellent for those. The nice thing about a small boat is that it floats in just inches of water, and can get tucked back into some tight spaces on the water, that larger boats would never go. They are unstable though. In calm water I have no problem standing in mine. However, when the jet boats go flying by on the river it is a pretty rough ride even while sitting down.

If you want stability, get the widest boat you can. Also check your local motor restrictions if you are going with an outboard.

You will find that boats are as varied and complicated as fishing rods... one just doesn't do it all. You just have to find which one meets the most of your needs. There is an excellent website/forum on aluminum boats: Welcome to TinBoats.net!

Good luck
Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Don't know how much help this is, but I have a 16 ft jon boat that has been decked (like a bass boat) and a 16ft Gheenoe that I use. Any watercraft, the smaller it is will be less stable for standing, than a larger craft & width certainly will make a difference. I fish in shallow water quite a bit, and both work well, drafting only a few inches. The Gheenoe of course is even better for real skinny water, but the jon, being wider is more stable for standing & fishing. I can paddle the Gheenoe, but need the motors for the jon. I have a 9.9hp gas & a 36lb thrust trolling motor.
I can mount either motor on the Gheenoe, but seldom do.

The problem with either of my boats is the jon boat has to be transported on a trailer, while the Gheenoe can be put in the bed of my truck, even though I have a trailer for it too. However, it has 2 swivel seats with 7" extensions that get the seats elevated (I have long legs) and that adds a bit of weight, so even though I can load & unload it alone, it's a chore to do so. The older I'm getting the harder it is too.

I've had both for many years, and they both work well for me & the fishing I do.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I knew a guy that had one of these and he loved it. He was also a kind of heavy guy. It was very stabile and you can move the seats. If it were me and I got one of them I would fish it from the back seat and remove the front seat and replace it with a stripping basket. The frames for the seats to set on can be moved if I remember right, so I would put the front seat frame up at the front, bow mount a trolling motor and put the battery up there also. Maybe the cooler for your pop and whatnot. Put your seat a bit toward the back of center to balance it out and call it good. If the trolling motor had a foot control you would have the killer fly fishing platform. I have thought about getting one of these my self.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I am with Dan on this. I have seen some pretty big guys using these and they appeared very stable. The motor would be a bonus but you could live without it. Good luck on your hunt for the right craft.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I'd keep an eye on your local List of Craig.. They pop up from time to time on my local one.. actually there's an older 8'er with a 45# trolling motor for $600 right now on there
Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
.. actually there's an older 8'er with a 45# trolling motor for $600 right now on there
I'd be on that like ugly on an ape.
Kerry Pitt likes this.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'd be on that like ugly on an ape.
it's only a couple hours south of you

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

and I was wrong.. it's only $500 obo..