The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:23 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The right boat?

Re-read the post,,and wanted to say,,,I really don't wanna knock kayaks. Sometimes I love to row, explore fish out of mine. One considering factor for me personally,,on wanting another craft,,with elevated seats,,is that my back tends to go rather quick and the elevation helps that also.
It comes down to this,,no one craft will do everything. You could spend thousands on a Ranger bass boat,,and not wanna take it up a rocky river.
I'm keeping my kayak and canoe,,there are times I love to use'em.
One other reason I'm gonna try the Pelican, is that is has a wee bit more room,,,and I do like to set trot lines for catfish,,,I'll have 'nuff room to put my bait containers and lines in the floor for that too. I'm definitely NOT the tweed and tea fly fisherman snob,,,my redneck ,'swamp people' streak runs pretty deep.

If you really decide that a kayak is the way to go,,check out the Oceans Big Game Prowler,,,,34" wide...stable yet speedy enough. I still keep thinking that NuCanoe is a nice craft though.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post

I also have an Outlaw pontoon(framed). I'm still learning to use but have found that it is not easy to use in shallow water. Trouble rowing due to shallow water and often dragging on bottom requiring me to get out and drag. Now I love it when the water is deeper and it is great for standing to fish. For me I need about 3' + depth to enjoy the Outlaw. As I said I am still learning how and best situations to use it. If my local trout river(Guadalupe) ever returns to normal flows then I am going to really enjoy it. Have used it in a lake and it was very good rowing and standing to fish. I also anchor pontoon in lake to fish a spot and then move and anchor again. Again to anchor is a 1 minute or less deal.

This is my experience and not a recommendation or discredit to any of these craft. They each have their place in my fishing arsenal. I'm keeping all three.
Are you using fins? My X5 will float with me in a foot of water. Using fins and a flutter kick I don't have any issues in very shallow water. But like you said, you're still learning it. Make sure your bladder's are pumped up 2.5 to 3 psi.
Also, if you use fins you can keep yourself in one spot without using an anchor. I usually use an anchor if I'm chironomiding 20+' deep, or it's really windy.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Mojo

I've been thinking about getting some fins to see how that would change moving the X5 around in shallow water or deep. I like the ideal of being able to hold position without anchor by using fins. Actually the best thing to help me would be for our drought to end. Currently I'm facing some long stretches with water below 12" and dragging. Not the pontoons fault at all, just what I am facing and not what it was designed for. I'm very disappointed with the low water and not being able to use the pontoon. Some people are still using kayaks on the river but I've docked all my craft and just wading. Our TU club has leased 18 access points for us to fish, and that is saving the day with wading.

It is hard to recommend a boat to someone because all do great things but each does something better or not as well. For me no one craft seems to serve me totally, hence the use of 3 craft of which I like all of them.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:27 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Take a look at a kayak that I believe is called a 'wavewalker'. Small motors can be used. You sit up higher than water level and they track well as I understand. Some sit on yaks also have a higher seat position. The problem with all yaks is weight. Most weigh in the area of 70# or more in the 12 to 14' range. You could look at a good solo canoe in kevlar. Light but not cheap and again you sit above water level and most will paddle well with a yak double paddle. I think a 13 or 14' sit on yak is ideal for fishing and some of them are stable enough to stand and fish from or have a higher than normal seat height.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:36 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Mojo

I've been thinking about getting some fins to see how that would change moving the X5 around in shallow water or deep. I like the ideal of being able to hold position without anchor by using fins. Actually the best thing to help me would be for our drought to end. Currently I'm facing some long stretches with water below 12" and dragging. Not the pontoons fault at all, just what I am facing and not what it was designed for. I'm very disappointed with the low water and not being able to use the pontoon. Some people are still using kayaks on the river but I've docked all my craft and just wading. Our TU club has leased 18 access points for us to fish, and that is saving the day with wading.

It is hard to recommend a boat to someone because all do great things but each does something better or not as well. For me no one craft seems to serve me totally, hence the use of 3 craft of which I like all of them.
I think using some fins will pleasantly surprise you. In all the years I've been using a 'toon, I forgot my fins only once. Felt like I was handicapped (which I was) i was so used to moving, manuevering, turning with fins, I was frustrated. It's like having only one oar. I would suggest you get a pair and hit the low water.
Sorry for the hijack Alligator.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

"Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems and Hobie are the ones that come to mind.
They come to mind because I see so many people using them, but there are others out there I am sure.
My Tarpon 120 is 12 foot long and I believe 32 or 33" wide. It is a SOT yak and I have never had an issue with flipping it. It is extremely stable. There are Ocean Kayak models similiar to this one that I see many use also and they are just as stable." Schiff

-----

Okay, that's good, specific recommendations for me to start looking at. Thanks.

I read somewhere that the Longer boats are less maneuverable. I am not sure of the exact context. For example, for lakes and Class I, II, & III rivers,
"maneuverability" might not even be an real serious matter, whereas on a fast rolling river, "maneuverability" is a whole 'nother ball game. Maybe I can use a boat over 10 feet with no problem.

Your recommendations are a great help.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to add something NEW to this post.
This last summer I notice the growing popularity to SUP's. So I started GOOGLING and these can be quite cool.
It appears also that NFO (Scadden) and NRS have come up with an inflatable.
The NFO is 20 lbs and rolls up small enough to fit in overhead. It comes with the trunk to sit on.

OR, going back to the ASSAULT and the XX which Mojo has

Frameless and weighs in under 40 lbs on the two man.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 AM

alligator is on a distinguished road

I want to thank everyone for their responses. This is such a great forum.:

I decided to get a kick boat, specifically Dave Scadden's Renegade which I purchased at a "show only" sale price. Of course I haven't used it yet (this time of year in MN we walk on water), but I'm optimistic this will help my Smallmouth fishing.

Midwest Mountaineering, a wonderful outdoor sports store in the Twin Cities, has a Expo every spring that includes a kayak auction. I plan to sell my Native Watercraft Ultimate Tegris with accessories and buy a used SOT kayak just to mess around in and for shallow water.

Thanks to everyone.