The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 11:51 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Re: Left-Handed casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner36 View Post
It may be time to think about a switch rod too.
Why is that?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
My fishing partner switched after he hurt his shoulder. He told me that it wasn't that difficult to learn.
I tried it and I think he was pulling my leg. ::
I think he was pulling your leg also. I can cast almost equally with either hand with a two hand rod but single hand casting is whole other story. I suck worse than sand in your eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner36 View Post
It may be time to think about a switch rod too.
Switch rod or a spey rod. You can Scandi cast really far pretty much without your shoulder at all. I'll bet you could tape the top half of your arm down and not really hurt your cast much.

WJC did a video that might help you to.
imxer and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:44 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Switch rod or a spey rod. You can Scandi cast really far pretty much without your shoulder at all. I'll bet you could tape the top half of your arm down and not really hurt your cast much.

WJC did a video that might help you to.
That's a good video. Thanks.

Santa did bring me a 13' 3" Spey rod, my first two-hander. I could just as easily learn to cast it left-handed, I suppose.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you scandi cast it you are better off casting right hand on top. That hand does very little. All the power in the cast is with the bottom hand. If you look at this video, especially starting at about 4:00 minutes in you can see what I mean. This should keep you from working your right shoulder to much.
mcnerney and baseman1 like this.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 PM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough

I write left handed, cast a fly rod with the left, but when spin casting, cast right handed ...go figure.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:17 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlskyline View Post
I write left handed, cast a fly rod with the left, but when spin casting, cast right handed ...go figure.
I write lefty too but everything else aside from shooting a riffle I do righty. I can cast great lefty but its just too awkward to get used to unless the situation calls for it.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:05 AM

schooner36 is on a distinguished road

As Dan said, "I'll bet you could tape the top half of your arm down and not really hurt your cast much." with a two handed rod.

I will have to wade out in the snow and try that. I have a bad right shoulder, that is one of the reasons that I got a switch rod. The right hand acts more like a pivot point and the left supplies a lot of the power. Some of the fly shows are having demo casting with the two handers, it would be worth seeing and asking questions if you are near one.

Let us know what you decide and how you do...

---------- Post added at 07:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

I just noticed that you are in southern NH. The Marlborough, MA fly show is Jan. 18 - 20. On both Friday and Sunday, there will be a demo by Topher Browne on casting the modern switch rod, and a demo by Michael Mauri on overhead and spey casting. I don't know about Browne, but have seen videos by Mauri and he is a great caster.
I am not going to miss it. Fly Fishing Show
Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 AM

Lots of good advice to consider.
Thanks, everyone.
I hope that more physical therapy can avoid the need for cutting. I find that healing takes a lot longer as you get older.
We'll see.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:06 AM

bowhuntermac is on a distinguished road

I dealt with this same situation this past summer. Had reconstructive surgery on my right shoulder (still not 100%) right about the time for the salmon fly hatch on the Gunny. Being the dimwit I am, I decided I was not going to let a little thing like one arm in a sling stop me.

I practiced casting in my yard and got to where I could put the fly in the general vicinity of where I wanted, but it was pretty ugle...worked, but ugly.

The harder part was trying to figure out line control with my right hand while my arm was in a sling. I eventually bought an el-cheapo sling and cut the maerial away from mid-forearm out to my hand. You will have to try and learn to use your wrist on its own for controlling your line, with very little help from the rest of your arm if you are in a sling, but it CAN be done.

Once I hooked up, I would put the rod back in my right hand, and resume reeling and line control with my left, but fighting bigger fish could be a pain since there were only so many directions I would go with my rod tip with my arm in a sling.

Good luck!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:00 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I cast with both hands depending on different situations such as trying to cast in to structure or what is behind me. I am pretty good at it with my smaller rods, it is when I fish saltwater that I prefer to stick with my left hand.