The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Left-Handed casting (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/306591-left-handed-casting.html)

plecain 12-30-2012 08:07 AM

Left-Handed casting

There's a chance I'll need right shoulder surgery soon. Not definite yet, but maybe.

I cast with my right hand. Thus the problem.

Has anyone made the switch from right-handed to left-handed casting, either temporarily or permanently?

If you have, can you pass along any tips/suggestions?

The obvious thing to do is just try it, but my casting pond is frozen and under 20" of snow right now.

Rip Tide 12-30-2012 08:31 AM

Re: Left-Handed casting

My fishing partner switched after he hurt his shoulder. He told me that it wasn't that difficult to learn.
I tried it and I think he was pulling my leg. :;):

Kerry Pitt 12-30-2012 08:54 AM

Probably going to depend on the person. I can cast with my left, though not as well as with my right but I learned because sometimes you are in a place that requires it. If you are frozen up outside maybe think about buying one of those little practice rods/tool, sorry I don't know what you call them and try it inside until you get it right, then you should be ready for a good shot at it in the Spring. Good luck with that shoulder.

darwin 12-30-2012 08:59 AM

I learned to cast with my left and it was not difficult. I can not cast as far with the left but well enough to do what I need. Go out and practice and you will pick it up in no time. Good luck with the right one.

wt bash 12-30-2012 09:15 AM

The irony is you'll probably cast better, your right has had time to develop little bad habits (we all do). When you make the switch it will feel so awkward but you'll notice your form is better, at least with me any way.

Jackster 12-30-2012 09:20 AM

So far I rarely have to cast with my off hand but I do practice doing so quite a bit 'just in case'!
I'm not sure if there's a formal way to learn to cast off-handed but what I've been doing is getting a good false cast going normally and then transfer the rod, still false casting it, to the off hand all the while keeping the rythm going.
Once I have that down it's play time and time to practice starting and presenting the cast and everything in between all with your off hand.
Casting off-handed comes in handy in situations where you have to hug the bank on your normal casting side and in windy conditions to always be able to cast to keep the fly on your downwind side.

noreaster 12-30-2012 09:28 AM

I am on board with learning both hands. As others have said it can come in handy when circumstances call for it. I was actually thinking about this a while back, and made the promise to practice in the spring in the yard. I am sure, with a little practice it can be achieved. I would recommend that you start with your feet and weighting. If your rod is in the left hand put more of your weight on the right leg (70%). This will facilitate the hip and torso turn and give you more control and sensitivity.
good luck

plecain 12-30-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreaster (Post 511464)
I am on board with learning both hands. As others have said it can come in handy when circumstances call for it. I was actually thinking about this a while back, and made the promise to practice in the spring in the yard. I am sure, with a little practice it can be achieved. I would recommend that you start with your feet and weighting. If your rod is in the left hand put more of your weight on the right leg (70%). This will facilitate the hip and torso turn and give you more control and sensitivity.
good luck

I'm thinking about how I shift my weight when I cast with my right hand, but over my left shoulder. It's pretty close to what you just said. That should work.

schooner36 12-30-2012 09:52 AM

It may be time to think about a switch rod too.

randyflycaster 12-30-2012 11:26 AM

I often went to a handball court and practiced throwing left-handed. Also, I wash all my dishes left-handed.

Randy