The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:07 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Left-Handed casting

There's a chance I'll need right shoulder surgery soon. Not definite yet, but maybe.

I cast with my right hand. Thus the problem.

Has anyone made the switch from right-handed to left-handed casting, either temporarily or permanently?

If you have, can you pass along any tips/suggestions?

The obvious thing to do is just try it, but my casting pond is frozen and under 20" of snow right now.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Left-Handed casting

My fishing partner switched after he hurt his shoulder. He told me that it wasn't that difficult to learn.
I tried it and I think he was pulling my leg. ::
mcnerney and Guest1 like this.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Probably going to depend on the person. I can cast with my left, though not as well as with my right but I learned because sometimes you are in a place that requires it. If you are frozen up outside maybe think about buying one of those little practice rods/tool, sorry I don't know what you call them and try it inside until you get it right, then you should be ready for a good shot at it in the Spring. Good luck with that shoulder.
mcnerney, fishiowa and noreaster like this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I learned to cast with my left and it was not difficult. I can not cast as far with the left but well enough to do what I need. Go out and practice and you will pick it up in no time. Good luck with the right one.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The irony is you'll probably cast better, your right has had time to develop little bad habits (we all do). When you make the switch it will feel so awkward but you'll notice your form is better, at least with me any way.
lthrnk03 likes this.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

So far I rarely have to cast with my off hand but I do practice doing so quite a bit 'just in case'!
I'm not sure if there's a formal way to learn to cast off-handed but what I've been doing is getting a good false cast going normally and then transfer the rod, still false casting it, to the off hand all the while keeping the rythm going.
Once I have that down it's play time and time to practice starting and presenting the cast and everything in between all with your off hand.
Casting off-handed comes in handy in situations where you have to hug the bank on your normal casting side and in windy conditions to always be able to cast to keep the fly on your downwind side.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I am on board with learning both hands. As others have said it can come in handy when circumstances call for it. I was actually thinking about this a while back, and made the promise to practice in the spring in the yard. I am sure, with a little practice it can be achieved. I would recommend that you start with your feet and weighting. If your rod is in the left hand put more of your weight on the right leg (70%). This will facilitate the hip and torso turn and give you more control and sensitivity.
good luck
Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
I am on board with learning both hands. As others have said it can come in handy when circumstances call for it. I was actually thinking about this a while back, and made the promise to practice in the spring in the yard. I am sure, with a little practice it can be achieved. I would recommend that you start with your feet and weighting. If your rod is in the left hand put more of your weight on the right leg (70%). This will facilitate the hip and torso turn and give you more control and sensitivity.
good luck
I'm thinking about how I shift my weight when I cast with my right hand, but over my left shoulder. It's pretty close to what you just said. That should work.
noreaster likes this.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM

schooner36 is on a distinguished road

It may be time to think about a switch rod too.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I often went to a handball court and practiced throwing left-handed. Also, I wash all my dishes left-handed.

Randy