The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By chauncey
  • 1 Post By wjc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM

chauncey is on a distinguished road
Default new fishing knife

Helle Hellefisk

Picked up 2 Helle Hardings for my dad and brother for christmas and thought this would be a good fillet knife to carry when im fishing. The blade is super light so the cork handle means it will float if I dropped it in the water.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
pszy22, caseywise and noreaster like this.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: new fishing knife

nice looking knife you have there.....
i'm really digging the cork handle on it
just curious what the length of the blade is?

casey

ARFE
Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Great looking knife, but blade seems short. Duluth Trading website lists the blade length at 4 7/8 inches and overall length of 10 inches.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 PM

rogue runner is on a distinguished road

I really like the looks of that knife. How stiff is the blade?

Meep....Meep.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road

the website says the blade is "rather stiff" but haven't really used it yet to know one way or the other.

Hellefisk - Helle kniver
Old 12-31-2012, 06:18 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I think you made a smart choice. Helle knives have some real nice steel recipes and tradition. The cork handle is a neat touch. I bet that shape and design has been used by Norway fishermen for years.
I like the idea of a stiffer fishing blade.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I'll bet the cork grip will work out well, and the stiffer blade can be a big plus when it comes sharpening time.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabi
the stiffer blade can be a big plus when it comes sharpening time.
Good point, Mike.

I finally bit the bullet and bought an electric knife sharpener about 4 years ago which changes the cutting edge from the American 30 degree standard to the Japanese 20 degrees. With scaled fish, like snappers, I either use a pocket knife or the top of the blade (not the cutting edge) on the fileting knife to remove the scales in the area I will be cutting through the skin when filleting.

Since then, I have bought two more identical ones to give to fishing buddies out of self-defense - since I spend too much time working already and don't want to start a knife sharpening business besides.
mcnerney likes this.