The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Rookie Fly Fisherman Seeking Help

Hi lerg2sc,

If you are a reader you can learn a lot from a good book. I can recommend any of Lefty Kreh books. His series of books called: "Lefty's Little Library of Fly Fishing" is a wonderful collection of how to fly fish. Today you also have DVD's that are great as you can see the information in action.

I purchased my first fly fishing book in 1953. It was "The Practical Fly Fisherman" by A.J. McClane. McClane was the expert of his time and I read that book over and over until I had absorbed much of the information. I learned how to tie leaders, learned about line weights, learned my knots and so many other things. I still have that book and look at it once in a while just for the heck of it. Brings back memories of my youth as a fly fisher.

I must say again, if you want to learn about fly fishing and catch some fish, you can't go wrong hiring a guide. A guide will cost as much as a new rod or reel but it is money well spent. One trip will give you a huge boost in your learning curve. If you consider a guide tell them up front you are more interested in learning than catching fish. This relieves the guide from the pressure of catching fish to give you your monies worth. A good teaching guide is so worth the money.

Frank
Old 01-18-2008, 02:24 PM

Roast is on a distinguished road

I just started fly fishing last year, and went through similar experiences. Here are some sites that I found useful:

Fly Fishing For Beginners

Fly Fishing "For Beginners - 101" FAOL

Orvis_Knots
Old 01-20-2008, 12:15 AM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

I too still enjoy a trip out even if I do not catch anything, but I also enjoy it much more when I do catch fish. One of the things I found very useful in my quest to catch fish is the info you can get from a local shop. I have yet to go to the shop near me and not get some useful info out of the owner. I go in all the time and buy a few flies, and always ask for his reccomendation as to what to use and when. I also found a fly hatch chart is really useful. If your not using what the fish expect to see, even the perfect presentation may not get you any action. I don't know if you fish the muskegon, but I found an example of a hatch chart. It's basic, but will give you an idea of what's happening in the water. You can find much more detailed charts if you dig enough. I have them for my area which gives the phases of the insects as well as the probable times of day for the hatches. The old saying that 10% of anglers catch 90% of the fish isn't becasue they're lucky. It's becasue they know when, and where to fish, and most important, what to use to catch them. Try and do as much research as possible. It's what I found gets you results.

Attachment 499
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muskegon1_hatch.jpg (18.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-20-2008, 01:12 AM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyChick View Post
Don't ever assume you've learned all the tricks, there is always something more to learn
Great advice FlyChick!