The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 06:57 PM

lerg2sc is on a distinguished road
Default Rookie Fly Fisherman Seeking Help

Good evening everyone!

At this point it is unfair to clasify myself as a fisherman, but I am seeking advice on how and where to start learning more.

I have had some basic casting instruction and have been fishing a dozen or so times without actually landing a fish. Surprisingly this is not as frustrating as I would think. I have started to really enjoy the sport and would really like to learn more.

Does anyone have recommended reading for an absolute beginner to get me started?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:00 PM

JagXJ684 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to JagXJ684
Default Re: Rookie Fly Fisherman Seeking Help

I'm a beginner as well, and I just read the Idiot's Guide to Fly Fishing. I thought it was very good, real easy read, just a couple of days, and covers a lot of information.

Also, read all the threads you can find on here, it's been a huge help for me!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:21 PM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

You can also find a wealth of information online. Some is opinion, some is fact, but regardless you will learn something new each time you try a suggested technique. Talk to your local fly shops, and try to hook up (pun intended) with as many seasoned fisherman as you can. The more you get out, the more you will learn.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

a dozen or so times and not landing fish yet.... don't worry, sounds about right if you're going about this largely solo. it took awhile for me, perhaps a few months before i started hooking into and landing fish (I had flyfished successfully decades earlier but this time around i was fishing local waters with my first real setup and casting lessons). when you say not landing, are you hooking into them?

sounds like you've stumbled across one of the nice things about flyfishing. you can enjoy it without even landing fish. of cours ei can understand the need to move to the next step :-) what kind of waters are you fishing, what kind of fish are you loking for, what kind of setup are you using, what tactics are you incorporating? with info like that someone can help.

internet forums are great. look for something in your area, they can be region-specific at times. finding someone in your area doing the same type of fishing can help as well if you can get on the water with them.

if you fish streams for trout, one book i found very amusing, entertaining and actually quite informative is the curtis creek manifesto.

good luck

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'll second the recommendation of the Curtis Creek Manifesto. It may not look serious, but it is seriously helpful.

The search function on this site will uncover loads of info for you as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 AM

lerg2sc is on a distinguished road

ezamora,

Thanks for the suggestion I will definately look into that book!

I have not actually hooked into a fish. I'm pretty sure there are some good reasons for this (fishing during poor times of the day, using the wrong fly patterns, fishing where there aren't any fish, etc...). Part of the reason I am not discouraged is because I took any chance I had and just got in the water wherever and whenever I could.

Out of the few different types of water I encountered I enjoyed the smaller to medium sized rivers and streams the best. I have decided to spend my time learning more about these types of waters.

I am using a 9' 6 weight St. Croix rod with a St. Croix fly reel. I couldn't even begin to tell you about the leader or any other part dealing with line, which may give you some inclination to where I am knowledge-wise.

When I purchased my gear (three years ago) I had met up with an experienced fisherman who directed me to some things that would get me started. Since then I have moved to a different town and lost touch with him, my gear was packed away, and I have forgotten many of the details he taught me.

I'm looking forward to learning more as I now have a much different lifestyle which provides a more apt schedule to include fishing. Information on learning about different ways to "rig" my rod (from fly to reel) would be greatly appreciated and would help take me the next step of my fishing experience.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:26 PM

abrysdam is on a distinguished road

Seeing as you are located in West Michigan, a good place to start would be Great Lakes Fly Fishing in Rockford. Glen is extremely helpful and they have a good selection.

The Orvis store on East Paris is ok if you know what you want or are looking for, but I've always found the owner to be less than willing to provide help.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

The books that were most benficial to me when I started were the ones with detailed directions to streams with access points, etc. Part of my problem was just knowing where to fish. I don't know your part of the country, but I'm sure there are tons of books called "Fly Fishing So and So". For me, it was a book named "Fly Fishing in Shenandoah National Park". With the knowledge that you're fishing in the right spot, you'll be more confident and your fishing will improve. It will also likely give you advice on the best equipment to use for that particular area, flies, etc.

Good luck with it...sounds like you're well on the way to becoming hooked. Sorry for the bad pun.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 PM

steely is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerg2sc View Post
Good evening everyone!

At this point it is unfair to clasify myself as a fisherman, but I am seeking advice on how and where to start learning more.

I have had some basic casting instruction and have been fishing a dozen or so times without actually landing a fish. Surprisingly this is not as frustrating as I would think. I have started to really enjoy the sport and would really like to learn more.

Does anyone have recommended reading for an absolute beginner to get me started?

Ahh, I remember when I learned to fly fish from my dad 20 plus years ago. He was a duffer himself and knew nothing about nymphing. One of the most awesome dads tho, took me up to Mammoth Lakes and fished hot creek. He bought me size 20 elk hair caddis that is the norm for hot creek, and I had no clue what a loop was, what it meant to have a crisp stop, but in the evenings when the caddis were out and I did my big lack of loop flail cast, managed to cast a decent amount of fish.

Now to help you out. LIke the above posters say, GO TO FLYSHOPS!! Better yet, if you can afford it, take casting lessons. Search high and low for fly fishing clubs. ABSOLUTELY INDESPENSIBLE (DARN, I wish this board had size 20 font). Right now you can go off and hunt steel, but it aint the best option for the beginner, but if you have thick skin, go try for some great lakes "steelhead". Yeah, I used quotes!.

Personally, I think the best bet for a beginner is to follow the hatchery truck in the summer.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:23 PM

FlyChick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisher77 View Post
You can also find a wealth of information online. Some is opinion, some is fact, but regardless you will learn something new each time you try a suggested technique. Talk to your local fly shops, and try to hook up (pun intended) with as many seasoned fisherman as you can. The more you get out, the more you will learn.
THis is a great tip...as long as you are with someone you enjoy spending time with, you will pick up new things all the time. Don't ever assume you've learned all the tricks, there is always something more to learn