The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Goals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Anywhere between Potter and Tioga Counties, South all the way to the border of Maryland. The center of Pennsylvania is chock full of trout water and some of the most beautiful country East of the Mississippi. You can cherry pick the entire region via 81 and hit some famous, some unheard of, and some pristine wild trout waters all in the same time span it takes me to drive to mediocre trout water in Ohio.
That's a beautiful part of the state, loaded with options of some incredible fishing, as you well know. Big water, medium water, famous water, small streams and unknowns are pretty much all within a 2:00-2:30 window. Steelies or Salmon are a bit of a push further at 4:00-5:00.

Not sure what your occupation is, but as you're likely finding jobs can be limited. State College/Lock Haven put you at the center of the most variety of options I'd think. There's always the old stomping grounds of the master himself, Ard which is Williamsport.

Good luck on the new accommodations and job.
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Thanks Man! Hopefully the Prize Patrol pull up my driveway next month and I won't have to worry about anything but closing dates!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM

hal_sch has a spectacular aura abouthal_sch has a spectacular aura about

I really want to catch a bullhead or catfish this year on a fly.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

2013 Goals:

1) Get out of the rat race.
2) Convince my daughter to go to the "U".
3) Surround myself with only the best people.
4) Section hike some of the App Trail.
5) Do more to help educate and introduce the sport of fly-fishing.
6) Finding more time to help conservation efforts.
7) New targets with the stick- Steelhead, Sailfish, Sea run trout and although not new....a BIG tarpon.
8) To spend one more night in the Smokies back country...a 25 year old Lagavulin and trout on the fire.
9)200+ days on the stream.
tbiii likes this.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
To do a bunch of overnight trips into the canyon section of the South Fork of The Snake River, been planning to do this for a while but just can't seem to get it done. This will be the year!

And....to make it up to The Missouri for a taste of that dry action.
John: We have talked about this in the past and it just never happens. Sure would be good to finally get it done this year, keep me posted if you make any plans I sure would like to do it.

Larry
fysh likes this.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely Larry, will do.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I don't really set any specific fishing goals, though I do have a standing goal: Fish as much as possible and enjoy my time on the water.

I'm hoping to get out more than I did this past year.
Jaybo: I'm like you I don't really have any goals other than wanting to fish more than last year. The only exception to that is this year I want to volunteer to help out the Casting for Recovery program and/or the Project Healing Waters program here in Wyoming.

Larry

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Absolutely Larry, will do.
Thanks John!

Larry

Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 2013 Goals...

Both wonderful causes Larry. I applaud you choices to volunteer!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

2013 Fishing Goals:

1. Teach my 4 year old the joy of fishing.
2. Spend more time wading in rivers and steams hunting trout.
3. Catch my first red fish.
4. Catch my first steel head.
5. Work on my casting and presentation.
6. Get out fishing more.
7. Spend more time outdoors with my boys showing them the beauty of this planet we live on.
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

All my life I fished, either from shore or from a canoe with my Uncle, for warmwater species. Last year my Uncle got an inflatable pontoon boat, me a kayak. We have been enjoying more freedom of movement, and for me also finally the ability to actually use my cheap Pflueger fly rod I got years ago that is kind of wearing out. This Christmas I got completely set up with a 5 weight and 3 weight fly rod. This year I plan to expand my fishing much more with the fly rod and less with the spinning and bait casting rigs (to the point I hope to mostly just use the fly rods.) I want to try and hook myself into my first "decent" sized bass on the fly rod (to date my biggest on the fly road was about the size of a small perch, so there is plenty of room for improvement )

I also would like to start trying to get out occasinally and try for a species I know virtually little about......trout (yup, this may sound odd on a fly fishing forum, but I have only ever caught 3 trout in my life, all three on ice fishing traps ). This will probably be tough since I don't know any fly fishing trout guys except one, my friend, who also admits he is pretty much a big "noob" to both fly fishing and trout.

Also I want to learn to tie a few different flies and then try to actually catch fish with them.