The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Blind Pig Story

Some of you may know that I have been searching for a softer and shorter fly rod for fishing tight quarters on small streams and had finally chose the 7' 9" 5wt Far and Fine as the rod desired.

I called Orvis with questions about the original F&F (dates of manufacture and etc.) and was fortunate enough to be transferred to their repair shop. During the conversation I asked if it was still possible they might have a blank laying around (never hurts to ask, right) and the gentleman said no but would look around and get back to me if one was found. Never thinking I would hear from him again, 2 weeks later I get a call saying they had located one in the back room of one of their shops. The price was $150 and the answer was YES.

Just got home Tuesday with the blank waiting for me, the seam was marked but I needed the measurements for proper placement of the guides so I called again. While looking up the correct guide placement they asked if I wanted Orvis to install the guides, the price was $75 and would include the reel seat if wanted. I then asked if it was possible to use the down locking reel seat and copy the original all cork grip, said they would ask if anyone in the shop could do this and would get back to me.

Well today I get a call from Orvis saying they could make the original F&F cork grip with matching down threaded reel seat plus apply the Helios spring guides, all for $75 dollars. So in a nutshell, Orvis will soon ship the last original factory made F&F for $225. I am not usually the one to stumble into such a find, but today, I am the veritable BLIND PIG.

Dave
mojo, imxer, fysh and 11 others like this.

Last edited by littledavid123; 01-04-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Blind Pig Story

Dave: Yes indeed, what a great find, congrats!
Ard is going to be jealous when he finds out how you scored on that great rod.

Larry

Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Some of you may know that I have been searching for a softer and shorter fly rod for fishing tight quarters on small streams and had finally chose the 7' 9" 5wt Far and Fine as the rod desired.

I called Orvis with questions about the original F&F (dates of manufacture and etc.) and was fortunate enough to be transferred to their repair shop. During the conversation I asked if it was still possible they might have a blank laying around (never hurts to ask, right) and the gentleman said no but would look around and get back to me if one was found. Never thinking I would hear from him again, 2 weeks later I get a call saying they had located one in the back room of one of their shops. The price was $150 and the answer was YES.

Just got home Tuesday with the blank waiting for me, the seam was marked but I needed the measurements for proper placement of the guides so I called again. While looking up the correct guide placement I was asked if I wanted Orvis to install the guides, the price was $75 and would include the reel seat if wanted. I then asked if it was possible to use the down locking reel seat and copy the original all cork grip, said they would ask if anyone in the shop could do this and would get back to me.

Well today I get a call from Orvis saying they could make the original F&F cork grip with matching down threaded reel seat plus apply the Helios spring guides, all for $75 dollars. So in a nutshell, Orvis will soon have shipped to me the last original factory made F&F for $225. I am not usually the one to stumble into such a find, but today, I am the veritable BLIND PIG.

Dave
SCORE!!!!

Soooo Yes.
jaybo41 and littledavid123 like this.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Cool man! I always love it when I hear "let me see what I have in the back room"!
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Major score, congratulations. Stories like this confirm the obvious. No matter what you see posted on a website--in terms of gear, stream reports, etc, the very best way to get your answers is to put in time and do your own legwork.

You do realize you're on the hook now for a review with photos, right?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Major score, congratulations. Stories like this confirm the obvious. No matter what you see posted on a website--in terms of gear, stream reports, etc, the very best way to get your answers is to put in time and do your own legwork.

You do realize you're on the hook now for a review with photos, right?
Absolutely, when the rod arrives (3 weeks give or take), pictures and my thoughts on how it casts will be posted. Had second thoughts on putting the Helios spring line guides on, making the rod not exactly as original, but since it will be hard to see the difference and those guides have already saved my bacon once, they're going on.

David
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Absolutely, when the rod arrives (3 weeks give or take), pictures and my thoughts on how it casts will be posted. Had second thoughts on putting the Helios spring line guides on, making the rod not exactly as original, but since it will be hard to see the difference and those guides have already saved my bacon once, they're going on.

David
What are the odds that they'll have an old original CFO II just "laying around somewhere" that they want to sell you for $50?
ghocevar, jaybo41 and shotgunfly like this.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the same odds as them having the blank I wouldn't hold my breath on availability or the price...but a CFO is a great match for that rod for sure. As has been proven, what could it hurt to ask?

Looking forward to seeing the photos and hearing your thoughts on how it handles.
imxer likes this.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

And then when you have some time, Dave, could call up Sage for me? I have a question for one of their rod builders with spare time on her hands...
jaybo41 and shotgunfly like this.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Maybe they can inscribe "The Blind Pig" on it too.

Oh, and welcome to the club.
mcnerney, jaybo41 and shotgunfly like this.