The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 04:56 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Fishing Show in Denver Yesterday

Fly Fishing Show in Denver Yesterday

Went to the Fly Fishing show in Denver yesterday. Lots of neat stuff there, if you are in the neighborhood.

First, the best part of my visit was the booth for the Federation of Fly Fishers.

I got a free analysis of my casting, and found need for improvement.

My grandaughter, 9, got a special Fly Casting Lesson.

Also, for the kids, the Federation of Fly Fishers has a Fly Tying Table set up there for free, little children can tie a San Juan Worm under the guidance of an instructor, and get to keep the worm and get a badge. That's really nice for that organization.

Also, I joined the "High Plains Drifters", a local group that focuses on fly fishing and has a monthly meeting in 2 places in Denver.

Nice show for me. Spent about 5 hours there.

At the back of the showroom, is the section for the Bamboo Rod Builders, and just around to the side, is a lone table showing how the pieces are put together to build those bamboo rods and how the hardwood (maple burl etc) parts form the handles.

There were lots of "boats" displayed, from the actual river drift boats, to float tubes, to pontoons and kayaks. That was a great interest.

I think I saw only one booth selling hooks, but there were 3 or 4 selling fly tying supplies.

There was a casting pool for trying out rods & reels with a 3 minute limit.

at the other end of the showroom from that, was a pool where pros gave demonstrations to groups, and also at the back near that pool, a huge curtained off area where perhaps as many as 6 people at once could get casting instruction on an individual basis.

There was a coffee Kiosk back by the restaurant, and the food wasn't too bad at all.

Lot's of exhibitors were there, Hardy-Grey etc, Sage, and I found the booth for Allen Reels too. Nice guys there. It's on the end of one of the aisles, close to the
Casting Pool for testing rods & reels.

Saw a custom knife-maker booth.

There were 2 or 3 booths selling Books on Fly Tying, Fishing Salt and Trout, and basic stuff you know.

Dave Whitlock has a booth there.

I got in for $15 and my granddaughter for $5

Last edited by brucerducer; 01-05-2013 at 05:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly Fishing Show in Denver Yesterday

Thanks. Heading there this morning.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Thank you

Heading there tomorrow morning, I have sort of a firm shopping list so I hope it works out

1) Allen Trout II
2) Brass and Tungsten beads for tying

Sounds like I can find both, but the priority is the Allen reel.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 AM

schooner36 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update. I am looking forward going when the tour hits Marlborough, MA
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a good time.. I got about 3mo before the Great Waters Expo kicks off here in Minnesota
Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner36 View Post
Thanks for the update. I am looking forward going when the tour hits Marlborough, MA
2 weeks! The wifey and I will be there Saturday. Actually heading up Friday and spending the night and hitting the show on Saturday.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:01 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

I'll be headed there on Sunday. Great to hear that it'll be worth it!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Update... Dave Whitlock was there. I've enjoyed/admired his artwork for decades. I bought one of his remarqued, signed prints. I met the guys from Allen, who seemed to be enjoying themselves. Had my reels cleaned- not that they ever need it, but- by the gentleman from Hardy, who affirmed one of my basic beliefs- " the LRH Lightweight is the finest fly reel ever produced". Direct quote. We found a mini (my term) travel trailer that my wife would like to have, for sale by one of the Sisters on the Fly. It's probably a good thing that I haven't put the hitch on our new XTerra yet... We spoke with another gentleman from the Fly Shack. His operation appears to be the closest fly shop to our summer cottage by West Canada Creek in NY. Spoke with an Oregon operation that's close to my sister-in-law's place... Lots of travel opportunities- Iceland, Alaska, Bahamas.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Was there for a just a bit today and will be back tomorrow. Picked up a Cutthroat leader and talked to the guys from Tenkara USA, both very nice folks and very helpful. Got a blank from Ye Olde English Fly Shop. He's great to talk to and I'm a fan of his blanks. Had some nice looking bamboo blanks, though I'm not in the market right now Talked to Dave Whitlock, real friendly and had some beautiful flies at his booth. Also spent some time at the Casting For Recovery booth. If you go tomorrow talk to them a bit, they're doing some really great stuff.