The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 09:47 PM

craigy is on a distinguished road
Default filling a gap in my rods

I'm wanting to fill a hole in my rod arsenal. The red rods are the two I'm looking at and the others I own.

9' 6wt. XP Sage
9' 5wt. SLT Sage
(8'6" 4wt. Z-Axis or ZXL Sage)
7'6" 4wt. Elder Honey Creek bamboo
8'3" 3wt. SPL Sage

I want a 4wt. that has better wind penetration, more distance, and a better ability to cast weighted flies. The Elder is great for small streams as is the SPL, but there is a big gap between those two and the 5wt. SLT.

My concern with the ZXL is that it will be too close to the bamboo rod and still leave a gap between it and the 5wt. Then again, the Z-Axis 4wt. might be too stiff for small tippets or not fishable on small streams.

I have cast the ZXL and the Z-axis in 9' 5wt. Both are great rods, but I'm not sure how that translates to the decision I'm trying to make on the 8'6" 4wt.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this decision. Especially if you have experience with either of the 4wt. rods.

Thanks,
Craig Y
Wichita, KS
Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: filling a gap in my rods

Well, based on wanting
Quote:
better wind penetration, more distance, and a better ability to cast weighted flies.
the z-axis seems like the way to go, but I don't know details about how it would do with light tippets. I would guess it woudl be fine with 5x, but 6x for example might be pushing it.

I don't think the ZXL will feel much like the bamboo, as it will be much faster and lighter. Then again, its not designed at all as a nymphing rod, and I'm fairly sure its only available in a 7'10" length.

For what you're after, a powerful longish 4wt that's not too stiff, I would also look at Sage's VT2 series, and Scott's E2. They might not be quite the trim level of the other's you're considering, but they sound like a better fit.

Come to think of it, our main sponsor could get you the 8'6" version (FR1024-4SD) of this rod G Loomis 4wt Stream Dance Metolius fly fishing gear to try out. Also might be ideal.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.