The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 AM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default Coolest Thing To Ever Happen To You While On The Water

Well yesterday I was out fishing a newish stream when I had two beavers swim right up to me, and I mean right up to me I could have squated down and just poked my finger in the water and touched one.

About half an our after that I was fishing a realy nice run when out of the corner of my eye I see this huge what I think is a fish swimming right accross the river to me. It was very dark colored and I was just trying to figure out why there was a catfish in a trout stream, and one thats over 3 feet. It got about a yard from me, literally and started coming to surface. I thought it was going to eat a fly or something. But to my surprise it popped its head and paws out of the water looked at me did a little twirl thing and swam back accross the river. It was a fricken river otter!!! and it was only a yard from me. It was awesome!

Last edited by franzenangler; 07-24-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:18 AM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Coolest Thing To Ever Happen To You While On The Water

I got to share a moment with a bobcat. I was on the opposite bank and it didnt see me. I didnt move and just watched it strolled along doing its thing. Super cool. The next day a huge otter came out the bush into the water about 60' from me. Again,I didnt moved and just watched it go about its business. I love fishing, for just these reasons. Fly fishing is 80% about the experience and the rest is about actually cathing...for me at least.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 AM

wsender is on a distinguished road

I caught a fish once....
Old 07-24-2010, 11:14 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Where we fish at Cape Cod, there's a large colony of grey seals.
The seals are curious and smart. The little ones like to play "tag" and will swim up within a rods length, make a big splash and swim off.
Adults will follow you down the beach and wait for you to hook a fish, then "liberate" it from you. .... your drag can really get a work out from that.
Like I said, these beasts are smart, and will stay out of sight, over your shoulder, until they're ready to make their move.

My buddy and I were fishing the big surf one day last month.
I had my back to him but when he started yelling I turned around to quite a sight
He was backing up the steep beach about as fast as he could go, dragging a big striper in the sand with a full sized (600-700 lb) bull seal in hot pursuit
Of course once the seal was fully out of the water, it slowed down considerably.
When my buddy realized that the seal wasn't about to attack....HE RUSHED THE SEAL .... shaking his rod and screaming

The seal backed up, swam off, my buddy was shaking like a leaf, and I'm laughing my fool head off
Old 07-24-2010, 11:48 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about

Mine involves a beaver too.

I was standing on the bank right where a little brook runs into this pond, about 50 ft from a beaver lodge. I was concentrating on landing the fly right amongst some lilly pads when I heard this big splash behind me.

My first thought was "Holy sweet mother of pearl, if that's a fish, I don't want anything to do with it!!!"

I'd forgotten about the lodge, and this was a beaver jumped into the stream about 10 ft behind me and lazily swam home, totally ignoring me, if it even knew it was there. Bloody thing scared the heck outta me. There it climbed up on shore, sat up and commenced cleaning it's paws and tail. Closest I've ever been to a beaver in the wild, and I thought it was so cool.

Growing up, moose, rabbits, ptarmigan and grouse were very common, but beavers didn't get to these parts 'till about 10 or 15 years ago.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

The coolest thing that has happend to me happened April 2009 when I was back in South Africa fishing the vaal river for yellowfish with a good buddy. We had hiked a fair bit and crossed a few islands and were making our way up stream when I saw some splashing up ahead. It was a few hundred yards away so we investigated and found a troop of vervet monkeys crossing the river. They had picked the shallowest area and were making the biggest leaps they could cos they hate water. We watched them for more than half an hour and I estimate that there about 200 of them. I was gutted that I didn't have a camera with me and so I swore not to go fishing without a camera again!

In Canada I have seen several beavers and back in June I was fishing a small water which had 2 beavers there and they hung around for most of the afternoon... they scared the c*** outta me a couple times cos they would swim up behind us and then slap their tails on the water, making a big splash and then diving down... It was pretty cool... I made add a pic I got of the beaver a bit later, I just don't have them on this computer....
Old 07-24-2010, 01:08 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzenangler View Post
But to my surprise it popped its head and paws out of the water looked at me did a little twirl thing and swam back accross the river. It was a fricken river otter!!! and it was only a yard from me. It was awesome!
I've had a few encounters with river otters myself
One time I was out in my float tube when a near-sighted otter spotted me and decided I was a rival otter horning in on his territory.
I had to chase him off with my rod.
They're not so cute when they up-close snarling and barking at you
Old 07-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I have been lucky to see a bunch of neat stuff over the years. Mostly in Alaska.

I remember one time my wife and I were returning up river to camp and it was getting late. We approached a spot where two small lakes joined together with a sand bar jutting out into the water. A big herd of Caribou were crossing the lakes and we floated right up to them. We didn't seem to bother them much and they just cross the lakes and went on about their business. My wife was really thrilled.

Another time while bear hunting we were in a spike camp and was glassing a slope. We could see a couple of miles up or down the canyon and have spent the morning watching a mother and two cubs playing in a snow patch. The cubs were all over the mommy and rolling around in the snow. Every once in a while the mom had enough and would whack a cub and send it rolling away. We spotted another bear up the canon coming on the run. He was well up the canyon and was dead set on the sow and her cubs. We could see that the new bear was a young male and was looking for some romance. When the male approached the female she shooed the cubs up behind her and faced the male. Below them it was covered with alders and they disappeared into the alders. We couldn't see them but all of a sudden limbs and brush was flying into the air and both bears were rolled up into a ball rolling down the hill side. That mama bear just beat the devil out of the male and he lit out with a bad limp. We saw where the male went and he laid up for a few hours and then sneaked away skirting the mama and cubs.

Now here is something that was really weird but is no joke. It was in the 50's and I was in the high Sierras with my boy scout troop. It was late evening and we were on a short hike after eating. We came to an over look that allowed us to see out into a small valley. In the middle of the valley hovering was a UFO with no lights and was not moving. We watched it for some time and the scout master said we had to get back to camp. There was probably six or seven of us and we all saw it and didn't know what it was. I was probably fourteen or so and there was no doubt of what we all saw. I have never forgot exactly what it looked like.

Frank
Old 07-24-2010, 04:37 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

A fun thread to read.

I wouldn't know where to start. Worse for readers, I wouldn't know where to end. Many rivers, many encounters.

Grizzley bears can certainly afford horribilis experiences and I've had several. They there are black bear stories, moose, elk, otter, beaver, eagles, badger, nude rafters (yep, right over my fly ), the list goes on.

It's more fun to read encounters like the OP just had. Those moments will stick with him forever.

Allen R
Old 07-24-2010, 09:43 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=twfitw;114574]The coolest thing that has happend to me happened April 2009 when I was back in South Africa fishing the vaal river for yellowfish with a good buddy. We had hiked a fair bit and crossed a few islands and were making our way up stream when I saw some splashing up ahead. It was a few hundred yards away so we investigated and found a troop of vervet monkeys crossing the river. They had picked the shallowest area and were making the biggest leaps they could cos they hate water. We watched them for more than half an hour and I estimate that there about 200 of them. I was gutted that I didn't have a camera with me and so I swore not to go fishing without a camera again!

I am from South Africa. Those vervet monkeys are a laugh a minute. Naughty little buggers.