The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Get me started-catching carp and buffalo

I've decided to give his a whirl this year and want your thoughts on how the right approach

Carp, I think I can figure out, from what I'm reading already. My battle plan is to sight fish with nymphs, buggers, etc.

Buffalo are less discussed. I understand they feed more on plankton and I've seen them in current. Would drifting a chironomid under an indicator be the way to go?
pkins44 likes this.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Get me started-catching carp and buffalo

I wish I could help you a bit more but the best piece of information I can share with you is to be patient and act like your stalking an animal on land. Be quiet and sneaky I can count the number of carp I have spooked and sent across the river from being to noisy and as stealthy as an elephant. Good luck out there carp are a lot of fun on the fly. Tight Lines.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

We catch buffalo with crayfish patterns dapping them right in the face with it. Normally they will just ignore but now and then they will eat it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
be patient and act like your stalking an animal on land.
Well understood. I stillhunt deer and squirrels and know this well.

Quote:
We catch buffalo with crayfish patterns dapping them right in the face with it. Normally they will just ignore but now and then they will eat it.
I've caught them on leadheaded jigs with conventional tackle. Maybe more luck than anything, but it sounds similar to your experience.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Carp are on my to-do list for the year.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

I've always turned up my nose at fishing for carp, but I might give it a try as a way to practice for fish that don't live as close to home.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
I've always turned up my nose at fishing for carp, but I might give it a try as a way to practice for fish that don't live as close to home.
Ever since I started fly fishing...Its been about 2 years, I turned my nose up at anything that wasn't trout.

This year I picked up an 8wt rod and now I want to fish for anything that will take my hook! Redfish, bass, steelhead, carp....anything and everything!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
Trout are a good three hours and a wad of cash away from me. Hence, I'm all about warm water. I've hooked a couple of carp and they were a blast while still on the line.

Oddly enough, I think buffalo might duplicate some trout stream experiences. I've observed them in local streams in current, and I suspect they're feeding. Hence, the chironomid thing.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
Trout are a good three hours and a wad of cash away from me. Hence, I'm all about warm water. I've hooked a couple of carp and they were a blast while still on the line.

Oddly enough, I think buffalo might duplicate some trout stream experiences. I've observed them in local streams in current, and I suspect they're feeding. Hence, the chironomid thing.
I'm in the same boat. Not quite as far, they are 2 hours from me. I tell you what though, there's something so therapeutic about being knee deep in a gin clear trout stream.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

With a little help from this forum and some local advice, I finally got into many carp last summer.
Do some forum searching for member mrp1, he has a few good videos that help one decipher the carp bite, which is very subtle.
Small dark crayfish flies work best, in whatever color the local crayfish are in. Gamakatsu sc-15's and sc-45's in #2-6 are small, but very strong. The trick is to tie a pattern that lands softly, but still sinks fast enough to get in the fish's feeding depth. Backstabber carp flies are a good start.
It can be as frustrating as it can be addicting

What is a buffalo?

PS, I now strongly believe in clear intermediate sinking fly lines as the line of choice (rio avid intermediate, for ex.), 6-7wt., with a short 15lb. fluoro Leader.