The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road
Default Streamer Fishing

I'm new to the forum and have some questions about streamer fishing. I live in Arkansas and have heard of people fishing sinking lines on 8wt rods to catch large trout in deep pools. I bought an 8wt Scott rod and a galvan spoke 8 before they discontinued it but have yet to use it. Are there any suggestions on what type of line I need? What size streamers should I look into and any best practices that I need to know about? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Streamer Fishing

Depending on how deep the pools are, you can probably get away with a WF or DT floating line. Using a 9 foot leader with a weighted streamer should get you down far enough. If you want to get the streamer down quicker you could use something like this.

RIO Type 3 Sink Tip Fly Line | Backcountry.com
mcnerney and bugslinger like this.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum, if you look up Hardyreels posts you'll find a wealth of info on stream swimming from leaders to mends to the flies. I can't pin point any one thread but Hardyreels is the goto guy for streamer info.
lthrnk03 likes this.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Ah, Arkansas! Love that water! I'd have to agree with lthrnk03. If you're throwing a bigger fly, you might want to try a rio outbound sinker. They provide a bit more 'umpth' when you need to turn-over a big fly. I fish 8 wts now, constantly. I love them!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing how you live in Arkansas, you might be interested in listening to an episode on "Fly Fishing Internet Radio" titled "Fly Fishing Arkansas' White River" by Davy Wotton. He is what the description of the show says. "Fly Fishing Arkansas' White River--Davy Wotton is a professional guide on the White River in Arkansas and no doubt one of the top experts on the river. Learn Davy's secrets about hooking up with monster browns in this show".
Fly Fishing Arkansas' White River | Davy Wotton | Fly Fishing
To view a show that is in the archive, I think you have to sign up as a member but to view the first few episodes it is free.

I've never fished the White river but have seen some of the huge Browns that come out of there every year.

Kelly Galloup is a fly fishing guide that loves to throw streamers. He has written books and has a few DVD's out that demonstrates his methods. There is another episode by Kelly Galloup that might be interesting to listen to: Fishing Streamers for Trophy Trout | Kelly Galloup | Fly Fishing

Also take a look at the Orvis Learning Center, they have some great information on how and when to streamer fish.
How To Fly Fish With Streamers: Streamer Fly Fishing Video Lessons - Orvis

The Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast by Tom Rosenbauer also has some great information on streamer fishing, here is the main site, scroll down to one of the streamer fishing episodes.
The Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast with Tom Rosenbauer

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot, Welcome to the Forum!!!!

Larry

Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja501 View Post
I'm new to the forum and have some questions about streamer fishing. I live in Arkansas and have heard of people fishing sinking lines on 8wt rods to catch large trout in deep pools. I bought an 8wt Scott rod and a galvan spoke 8 before they discontinued it but have yet to use it. Are there any suggestions on what type of line I need? What size streamers should I look into and any best practices that I need to know about? Thanks in advance for any help.
Welcome to the forum, we were all new once, so pull up a chair and enjoy the company. I have learned more in my short time here than listening to my Wife for the last 43 years. I realy think streams are one of the most productive, under fished fly. Big trout are agressive critters that are nothing like there pellet fed cousins and like big live meals. Match you streamers to the forage fish you have in your stream, tying a pattern that catches Char in Alaska probably wont work well in your neck of the woods. Weight them to get down to where the fish are and dont be afraid to move them around. I would also try some mouse patterns at night on top. Good luck
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Earlier I forgot to mention, another great site for streamer fishing information, especially on the White River is Dally's Ozark Fly Fisher, they have a section under their "Tips and Tricks" drop down box called "Feed Them Meat--The Streamer Diaries".
Feed Them Meat I _ The Streamer Diaries The Ozark Fly Fisher Journal

They also do a weekly email that I have enjoyed in the past, that keeps you current on what is going on concerning the White River and they post some awesome Brown Trout photos that are fun to look at.

Larry
brucerducer likes this.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the information.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Which river are you fishing?

Dave
Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

For most of my streamer fishing I use a floating line. If I'm fishing deep water - more than 6 feet or so - I use an intermediate line, partly because I prefer not to cast real heavy flies.

Randy