The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default ways to make it affordable--all your tips, strategies, and methods

I thought this might be a good thread. Costs are often an issue for many people and often a barrier for new people considering our sport. What are your ways to keep the costs down?

Here's a few of mine:

1. Camping. Campground fees are much lower than hotels and lodges and cooking for myself is cheaper than a restaurant.

2. Gasbuddy.com--I keep an eye on this to know where to buy gas on trips.

3. Vanish flourocarbon--4lb test costs much less than standard tippet and serves well enough in most situations. Easy enough to find.

4. Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp #14 wide bend hooks for soft plastics (available in bigger sizes, too). Fifty of these run half the price of hooks marketed to fly tiers. They are slightly offset but a little bend when you put them in the in the vise eliminates it and you end up with a hook suitable for passable nymphs, scuds, etc. An added plus is that they have a relatively large eye.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ways to make it affordable--all your tips, strategies, and methods

I close my eyes and avoid any though on the subject...makes it easier for me.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I try not to think about it as well, especially with tying materials. During the fall, even though I am only 30 minutes or so away from my favorite albie spot, I often bum it at the camp ground 5 or 10 minutes away from it. I usually get to the spot at 4:30 or 5 at the latest anyways so I may as well stay close by. Many, many nights have been spent sleeping in the car too.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

"Affordable Fly Fishing." See page 11 of the Dictionary Of Oxymoronic Terms.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

spend only what you can afford, after that, its time to get help
williamhj and bugslinger like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I look for new gear and tying materials on sale or on closeout and take advantage of incentive programs where you get $$ back for frequent purchases to use at a later time.

When I drive a couple of hours to fish, I stay in a cheap but clean hotel instead of driving back multiple days. Camping requires more purchases for me.

I'll look for cheaper places to eat if I'm not cooking, but on my spring trip, we cook when we can.

Last but not least, I follow the you get what you pay for rule of thumb. I buy things that I KNOW work. I may not need the highest end product, but don't want junk either. Two examples are: I've tried cheaper hooks and had them fail, I've tried lesser quality leader/tippet material and had that fail as well only to go back to what I had been buying to begin with.

I should also add that I also look for pre-loved gear and if it's in the right condition, I'll buy it.

Last edited by jaybo41; 01-08-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:54 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
1. Camping. Campground fees are much lower than hotels and lodges and cooking for myself is cheaper than a restaurant.
thats why I use a van no campground fees !!!! just pull off some where and every things inside.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
spend only what you can afford, after that, its time to get help
I need this help you speak of, but not sure I want it. Fly fishing show is in 2 weeks...
Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't paid "retail" for a fly rod since the '80s and I never will again.
I look for close-outs, used, or build what I need.

Factory second lines.... I've got at least 7 of 'em and the last couple lines purchased that weren't were "close-outs"

Tied my own leaders for close to 25 years now and tied all my own flies since the mid 70's. My trout vest is that old too.

Don't like stayin' in motels or cabins....
campin' is part of the "experience"

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
4. for soft plastics (available in bigger sizes, too). Fifty of these run half the price of hooks marketed to fly tiers. They are slightly offset but a little bend when you put them in the in the vise eliminates it and you end up with a hook suitable for passable nymphs, scuds, etc. An added plus is that they have a relatively large eye.
==========================================

Flyfisher for men, what an awesome tip!

That ranks right up there with using Weatherstripping Foam for Poppers!

Here here!

Okay: here's one for you. You know what Sequins are, that ladies put on their fancy dresses and all right? (Gold Circles, pea size or smaller).

Walmart carries a package of them. They are 5mm Sequins in Gold, #666776 and they make great "eyes" on Epoxy Minnows, Shad, the "Toothpick Fry" and so on.

Also, Float Tubes and small pontoons allow access to more water.

If you have an appliance at home that burns out, like a blender or a Fan, it can be broken apart and the motor removed for the wealth of Copper Wire windings on the coil. It's small fortune in copper wire.

cpiercem and bugslinger like this.

Last edited by brucerducer; 01-08-2013 at 06:13 PM.