The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough
Default Thougts on a Full Sink line

I've been debating throwing on a full sink line for my 8 wt for streamer fishing. I know Galloup's doctrine of big fish in small water (and bow down to it as well) but I've also hooked up with monsters down in the deep pools. That being said, I'm curious to hear about people's experience and thoughts about throwing a full sinking line?

As an aside, if the responses are to get one, if anyone here wants to get rid of a Hardy Uniqua No. 3 spool I'd be interested
Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Thougts on a Full Sink line

have one, use it sparingly. only when water is high and slow. weighted flies sink faster with mono/fluoro (less resistance).
if your thinking fast water, you'd be better to get some T-11 or T14, and cut it to 5', 10' and 15' lengths. If your 8 wt is long enough you should be able to do a single hand spey cast with it too. I use that on my 10'6 8wt with a WF8F

like i said, rarely is the full sink line on. If you're fishing still water, full sinkers are lethal when fish are low and feeding on the bottom. Thats where i've used it most (back in ireland)
mcnerney likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

fs lines have their purpose in getting deep to holding or feeding fish. Fishing full sink lines is tiring on a 1 hand rod, your lifiting the entire line up through the water colum while the current is sweeping it down stream. 2h rods make the process much much easier. If your trying to get to fish in less than 20 ft of water then a long leader and a lead head or sink tip will get the job done and make your fishing experience much better. lead heads are looped pieces of weighted line that can be bought in several lengths. They go between you fly line and your leader. A 15 ft leader and a lead head, plus the weight of the fly can get you down deep. Remember to cast up stream far enough to let the rig sink to the depth of the fish. Good luck
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

They are great in a lake, but you really have to watch them in a river. You can get your line hooked on the bottom. I don't mean the fly, I mean your line. Not a good thing.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I like the full sinking line in still water, caught many fish using one with certain patterns. In moving water I am not so fussy about them, I feel I lose some line control in the currants. I like a sinking tip in still water but honestly you may want to try it for yourself, everybody is a bit different.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the insight everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
They are great in a lake, but you really have to watch them in a river. You can get your line hooked on the bottom. I don't mean the fly, I mean your line. Not a good thing.
Dan, in your experience is the fs line getting stuck on a dead drift, swing, striped in, or in all scenarios?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

in my experience it got stuck on dead drift and swing.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Got three lines to fish on reservoirs,when I can't locate any fish or don't see any surface activity I use a sinking line with buzzers,nymphs or streamers....never use it on running waters(may be wrong sometimes?)I find it less pleasant to cast than a floating line
Old 01-12-2013, 02:25 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I use a full sinking line for deep still water fishing and for trolling. I find that casting this line is as easy as a double taper floating line. It feels funny casting this line because it is so thin when compared to floating line but the weight is the same. The sink rate of my line is about 1 foot per second. I use it when I'm fishing nymphs and I'm quite sure that the line is often on bottom but the fly is above bottom due to the use of the neutral or slightly floating mono leader.

Don't forget to point the rod tip towards where the line enters the water and you will immediately feel any hits. The brook trout up here where I live always hit the nymph hard and hook themselves. I retrieve the line almost to the canoe or boat. Most of the hits are when the nymph is swimming towards the surface.

However, I do more trolling than nymphing and this is where the full sinking line really shines. I have buddies who troll for Atlantic Salmon (where it's allowed) and they use the fastest sinking line they can find.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have one (type VI) and use it when the fish are deep in the local stillwater. it is a great line to have in your arsenal, but I never have used it in running water. My buddy uses a sinktip for the river when it is fast or he finds a deep pool he wants to get a line down through, and even that occasionally hangs up.

I find if you are trolling from a boat or doing a faster troll from your float tube and the fish are down at the 10 to 16 foot range, a sinking line comes in handy. Other than that, floating lines or intermediate lines on the lakes and I rarely use anything but a floating line on the river. If I need to get deeper on the river, I add flouro and tippet and use weighted flies or shot.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.