The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 AM

mark3664 is on a distinguished road
Default Sage RP 590

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone is familiar with the sage Rp series.I found this rod among my dads fishing equipment and since he is no longer with us I don't know much about it.It's a 9 ft. 5 wt and says Graphite 11.Is this comparable to the IM6 modulus or stiffer?Also there is a number E2718,down by the hook holder, I was wondering if that may be a serial # and if so would anyone be able to tell the age of the rod by that#. The rod is like new since he always took great care of his equipment.Any info on this rod would be greatly appreciated.I do most of my fishing with 3# and 4wt Winston Rods in the Basalt area of Colorado,Frying Pan and Roaring Fork Rivers. It won't see a river until the spring and the line will need to be replaced and does anyone have any suggestions on a line compatable with the Sage? Does it need to be overlined.Thanks for any of your help.Mark
Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage RP 590

That is an old Sage, from about the mid 80's, and probably is made from IM6 or maybe slightly older graphite.

If the Winston's you're fishing are WT's, the rods action will likely feel similar, though the rod will feel a bit heavier. It should be a great nymph/streamer rod and should work well fishing the heavy water in the Roaring Fork there in town. Most any 5wt line will do well with it, though I would stay away from the heavier ones like a SA GPX, or the RIO Grand. (those are designed for more modern faster action rods) And no, it definitely doesn't need to be overlined.

I can still picture the belly of a 4lb Cutt I hooked in a deep run just upstream of the basalt ave bridge that leaped just before throwing the hook. I was fishing a big stonefly nymph and apparently didn't get the hook set well enough. I was fishing a Sage 4, hopefully that 5 will do better. If you run into Sam Gregorio in town, tell him Emily's friend Cliff says hello.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:20 PM

mark3664 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage RP 590

Thanks so much for the info and if I do run into him I will definitely say hello.Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
That is an old Sage, from about the mid 80's, and probably is made from IM6 or maybe slightly older graphite.

If the Winston's you're fishing are WT's, the rods action will likely feel similar, though the rod will feel a bit heavier. It should be a great nymph/streamer rod and should work well fishing the heavy water in the Roaring Fork there in town. Most any 5wt line will do well with it, though I would stay away from the heavier ones like a SA GPX, or the RIO Grand. (those are designed for more modern faster action rods) And no, it definitely doesn't need to be overlined.

I can still picture the belly of a 4lb Cutt I hooked in a deep run just upstream of the basalt ave bridge that leaped just before throwing the hook. I was fishing a big stonefly nymph and apparently didn't get the hook set well enough. I was fishing a Sage 4, hopefully that 5 will do better. If you run into Sam Gregorio in town, tell him Emily's friend Cliff says hello.