The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM

desertfly83 is on a distinguished road
Default Guide job

Hi I'm going to be going to a guide school in may of this year what I'm wanting to know is how hard is it to find a guiding job after I get out of school
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guide job

I don't know the answer to that question. It might help if you'd introduce yourself and let us know where you are, where you are hoping to work, etc. etc. We have members not only from North America but all around the world so your question is very broad.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM

Well my name is Chris and I'm from San Angelo Texas I work as a diesel truck mechanic in the oil field I grew up in califorina and learned how to fish for trout in the eastern Sierra navada I I don't know a whole lot about fly fishing in general but on a recent trip to the Sierra's I had remembered how much I love bing in the mountains I'm planing to go to the sweet water guide school this may
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Sweetwater has good placement, based on your abilities and personal character you could get picked up right away through their travel organization. What I suggest to you is figure out where you would like to guide and figure out all the required licensing, fees etc etc. I went to Hubbard's in MT and within a week I had landed a position in Ak however I wasn't aware of the Coast Guard licensing that I would need on top of the guide's license, fishing license salmon permits and so on. If you go all out at school and stand out you should be in good shape with Sweetwater, and they can help you get set up with what you need should they hire you. Hope that helps a bit and welcome to the forum!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:04 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

There are two ways one can be a guide.

A guide can be licensed and bonded independently. He is usually responsible for his own marketing and administration. These guides can work together with fly fishing shops or outfitters, if they choose to do so. The shop or outfitter's cut is usually 15% of the guide fees.

A guide can work under the license and bond of an outfitter. This guide is getting a paycheck from an employer. Marketing and administrative duties are done by the outfitter. Basically this guide gets a client when the outfitter sets the date.

Basically you can be your own boss, or you can work for someone else.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
There are two ways one can be a guide.

A guide can be licensed and bonded independently. He is usually responsible for his own marketing and administration. These guides can work together with fly fishing shops or outfitters, if they choose to do so. The shop or outfitter's cut is usually 15% of the guide fees.

A guide can work under the license and bond of an outfitter. This guide is getting a paycheck from an employer. Marketing and administrative duties are done by the outfitter. Basically this guide gets a client when the outfitter sets the date.

Basically you can be your own boss, or you can work for someone else.
+1 to what MP stated above. Worse yet, until you get 'established' getting clients is a hard road.

Only one other bit of advice: "DON'T give up your day job." Guiding, even if you will go to several rivers in a geo-area, is a tough business upon which to make a living. It's this 'I need to eat' thing that gets into the way.

And then there's the equipment you'll need. Depending upon the 'where' you'll be in several thousands of dollars for boat, trailer, rods, etc., etc., etc.

As an aside, of all the Guided Trips I've been on the only Guides I really remember served a (usually hot) beach lunch. Had a good bar to pull over on, pull out a small Weber 'Q' and fired the thing up. Nasty weather? One of those soccer sideline tent tops went up so we had a dry place to sit.

We'd continue to fish (or warm our hands over the charcoals), drink a soda pop (if you wanted an Adult Beverage you had to bring your own ... 'It's a Law thing' for the Guides).

One memorable was a river in the process of blowing out ... like this Puppy isn't going to Hunt. It didn't. Three of us sat under that tent top and swapped lies for close to 5 hours at the boat launch. Fellow called his wife and she brought us 'Plunking' gear.

Great 'trip,' and no .. we didn't ask for our money back and gave 'him' a heck of a tip at the end of the day. Did we hook a fish? No idea, but it was a great time in the long view. Years later that experience brought me Gold.

Taking two fellow (I'm not a guide) fishing on the Chetco River and similar situation. Rowed like hell to get us down stream and back to the RV park. Back to the MH and got out rods/gear that hadn't see the light of day for years. Sort same, rig up rods, 2oz of lead fly and we sat under the lift up on the back of the Jeep. (We could walk back to our rig.)

Two on the beach, water up to mid Tyre rims, and 4x4 in low to get out of there!, and all three of us very .... well, lets just say "intoxicated" at the end of the day. Even my Yellow Lab thought we were all Nuts. But a bag of dog cookies in the car kept him happy.

Pictures to prove it.

fae
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Thank you all ill be sure to keep you posted it's hard in west Texas to get into fly fishing there went many shops out here if any and at the lakes or rivers I get made fun of by all the red necks out here
Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

A good friend of mine is a guide in east Tennessee, check into the requirements of a Coast Guard Captians license, Its has become a big deal since 9-11 and Homeland Security has come on the scene.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Since you say that you don't know much about fly fishing in general you might need to work up to a guide job. It might help to land an entry level job in a fly shop before trying to get a guide job. Shops also hire people to assist guides. They take care of the camp and other duties on multiple day trips. The successful fly fishing guides I know grew up with it. Fly fishing is their passion and lifestyle. They are also good teachers and extremely personable. Good luck with your career choice. You may learn a lot in school but just like any career, practical experience is the most important thing.