The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road
Default Do I need a 2wt?

The smallest rod I have is a 7'6 3wt and have an itch for a 2wt. My question is how much difference is there between 2 and 3wt rod?

JA
Old 01-09-2013, 03:41 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Do I need a 2wt?

let me ask you this.
Do you need hole in the head? No

Do you need a 2 wt? No.

However, spend away! Get one anyway! Thats half the fun, we get what we dont necessarily need.

Did i need 2 CGR's? NO, did i get them anyway. You're damn right i did!
mcnerney and zug buggin like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

No, you don't need it.

I bought a new 7'6" 3wt this summer and added a new 8' 2wt to my arsenal this fall. I didn't need it, but I sure enjoy it!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja501 View Post
The smallest rod I have is a 7'6 3wt and have an itch for a 2wt. My question is how much difference is there between 2 and 3wt rod?

JA
That partly depends on it's length.
To see more difference from your 7'6" 3 wt, get a 6-foot 1 wt or 2 wt.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:07 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

You're asking the wrong crowd. Obviously you need a 2 wt. Get on it!
mcnerney, jaybo41 and akruss like this.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:09 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Depends,

Need no, want yes.

Use cation if your 7'6" 3WT is a medium , softer flex like a Sage ZXL, Orvis Superfine etc etc and you pick up a "fast" 2WT then no, you don't want that 2WT because there isn't a huge difference. If you have a "fast" 3WT get a slow 3WT and save cost by sharing reels.

Just my $.02 as a owner of 4 3WT's get a 1 WT and there will be more deliniation in intended fishing strategy.
jaybo41 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-09-2013, 04:10 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

My remarks would be similiar to Eunan's & the others,I have a 2wt,a 3 wt as well as 1 unfinished,a 4 wt,I think,3 or 4 5wts,5 6wts,a couple also unfinished & the list goes on which I've bought over The years however If you are like us others who Flyfish you will probably buy it anyhow & think about getting rid of some of The Other Rods,which you probably never will.
Anyhow another Rod doesn't take up much space & it won't be noticed with The other Rods you have.
Brian.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Use cation if your 7'6" 3WT is a medium , softer flex like a Sage ZXL, Orvis Superfine etc etc and you pick up a "fast" 2WT then no, you don't want that 2WT because there isn't a huge difference. If you have a "fast" 3WT get a slow 3WT and save cost by sharing reels.
this is good advice...I have a superfine 6'6" 2wt which is VERY different from my 8'6" 3wt. They fit different waters and situations. If you pick up a 7'6" 2 wt with a similar feel to your 3wt, what have you accomplished other than stimulating the economy?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I like light line fishing and all but I don't have a rod under a 4wt anymore. If you got the itch scratch it, if its not that bad stick with the 3wt.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Make sure you go shake a few if you do.. my LST 7'6 2wt was similar in speed and flex to my 7'6" St Croix Imperial 4wt.. So I pawned it off