The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Casting for Recovery (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/307556-casting-recovery.html)

mcnerney 01-10-2013 11:35 AM

Casting for Recovery
 
A couple years ago Fysh (John and his wife Pam) volunteered to help out the Utah Casting for Recovery program and that got me interested in helping the WY CFR program. I'm now retired so a couple months back I contacted the gal that runs the Wyoming CFR program to see about volunteering, she told me that they can always use flies for the participants and mentioned that one of the volunteers at last years program had donated six dozen flies, so I told her I would send her some flies for this coming year's program. I mentioned that on the forum and JP (jpbfly from France), Brian (Liphookendau from Australia), Popperfly and Newby have also offered to tie up some flies.........when they come in I'll update the thread. Unfortunately, the flies that Newby sent me during the xmas rush never arrived, but he was gracious enough to tie a few more which I know the CFR gals will appreciate deeply. If anyone else is interested in tying a few flies, send me a PM, we have plenty of time.
Here is what I have done so far:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...ium/fish31.jpg

JP's flies arrived this week:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...dium/fish4.jpg

Brian has his flies in the mail, so they should be here in about 10 days, I will get them posted along with Newby's and Popperfly's.
Thanks guys for helping out on a great cause!

Larry

frogg 01-10-2013 12:02 PM

Re: Casting for Recovery
 
Very nice!
A few years back, on another forum I'm on, we all built fly rods and donated them to Reel Recovery, another womens cancer survivors group. I think the total was 12 or 15 rods.
It definately makes you feel good to do something like this. Good for you guys!!


Chris

jpbfly 01-14-2013 12:43 PM

Re: Casting for Recovery
 
Bump....Larry's doing a great job...tie some flies for a good cause guys:)

fredaevans 01-14-2013 01:33 PM

Re: Casting for Recovery
 
Good on You! Been a strong supporter of the Oregon Group for the past Decade. One other thing the Ladies can usually use is 'used fly rods.' Have one/more sitting around gathering dust?

Give them a call, you won't have them very long after that.
:fishing:

mcnerney 01-14-2013 01:47 PM

Re: Casting for Recovery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 516153)
Good on You! Been a strong supporter of the Oregon Group for the past Decade. One other thing the Ladies can usually use is 'used fly rods.' Have one/more sitting around gathering dust?

Give them a call, you won't have them very long after that.
:fishing:

Fred: Good idea, I might do that. This past summer on the horse pack trip into the Winds I gave two older well used Orvis 5 wt rods (I think they were HLS models) to two 16 year olds. Neither kid had fly fished before, but after a short casting demo they took to it like ducks in water and had a blast catching cutties on those high mtn lakes. At the end of the trip I gave each of them a fly rod. I wanted to take them on a float trip on the Green later in the summer but with the drought the water in the river really dropped so we didn't get out, but I'm going to try and get them on the water this year for sure.

Larry

Liphookedau 01-14-2013 04:51 PM

Re: Casting for Recovery
 
Hi Larry.
The Flies shouldn't be far away,I didn't give it a thought to put them in a Flybox.
Also to add to your story,about 3 maybe 4 years ago I had a Cull out of Flytying so I sent some to a young guy on one of our local Forums,the next thing I was bombarded with requests from his mates asking if I had any more to give away,however I also threw heaps away which was old & I hadn't ever used which maybe they might have.
Just last week I gave a guy who comes Fishing with us a Reel & a Xpert Distance Line which had only been used 3 or 4 times.
Brian.

mcnerney 01-14-2013 07:24 PM

Re: Casting for Recovery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liphookedau (Post 516258)
Hi Larry.
The Flies shouldn't be far away,I didn't give it a thought to put them in a Flybox.
Also to add to your story,about 3 maybe 4 years ago I had a Cull out of Flytying so I sent some to a young guy on one of our local Forums,the next thing I was bombarded with requests from his mates asking if I had any more to give away,however I also threw heaps away which was old & I hadn't ever used which maybe they might have.
Just last week I gave a guy who comes Fishing with us a Reel & a Xpert Distance Line which had only been used 3 or 4 times.
Brian.

Brian: I figure your flies should be here any day now. This afternoon I received Newby's flies, awesome looking mini-hoppers and CDC EHC flies. I'll get them photographed tomorrow. The gals at CFR are really going to be surprised when they receive such beautiful flies. That was funny about the materials you gave that young man and the next thing you get bombarded. I gave some excess material to a kid going to Russia, his family signed up to work on a cattle ranch and he was just getting into tying.

Larry

fredaevans 01-14-2013 07:52 PM

Re: Casting for Recovery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 516166)
Fred: Good idea, I might do that. This past summer on the horse pack trip into the Winds I gave two older well used Orvis 5 wt rods (I think they were HLS models) to two 16 year olds. Neither kid had fly fished before, but after a short casting demo they took to it like ducks in water and had a blast catching cutties on those high mtn lakes. At the end of the trip I gave each of them a fly rod. I wanted to take them on a float trip on the Green later in the summer but with the drought the water in the river really dropped so we didn't get out, but I'm going to try and get them on the water this year for sure.

Larry

All be it years ago, been there, done that on the Chetco River in SW Oregon. You feel 'eyes' on the back of your head and there's the father with two (almost) teenage sons. For context here, had my (and ex-wife's) second home in Brookings, Oregon. Week trips (we both had a months vacation) and would spend at least a couple of weeks there as well as 'long' weekends.

Back to page one.

Reel in and Adult type and his two boys were watching me cast and 'What kind of rods are those?????' Talked about spey casting, how the rods worked, adaaa-yadda. "Would you like to learn how?"

Eyes the size of dinner plates.

Had an extra set of waders/boots in the 4x4 so those went on the Father. Joan's gear on one of the boys and into the river we went. Father was a total natural with the Sage 149'er, the Lad with the 7136-4. Father was actually hanging the fly into the trees across the river. I kid you not.:eek:

That was a Friday afternoon. Saturday we meet up again, second Laddie has waders; other was loaded back into Joan's. Ditto Sunday morning.

Alright Guys, I have business I have to attend to for a few hours so keep casting the rods, I'll come back and collect them later. Truth be told, we had to head home. Didn't come back. Understand they contacted the RV park for .. and the RV park was under strict instructions 'I've no idea who you're talking about.' Folks in the front office were aware. :fishing:

I hope they got good use out of that equipment. Purchased a 'new/aged like a good wine' 7136-4 and I understand why I loved that rod so much. With one of Steve's lines on this thing (no idea what the original might have been) you could cast this stick with a bag over your head. You don't need to see, you just need to 'feel,' the flow of the rod, the, the, the.

Like the expired Sage (no longer building same?) 7100-4 XP single hander. Will I ever drop $800.00 to find out they did it better? Probably not.

The last reel I purchased (save for SpeyCo!) was an old Hardy that may well be close to my age. Condition? "Perfect," pun intended.


fae

littledavid123 01-14-2013 11:53 PM

Re: Casting for Recovery
 
Giants, it's the only word I have to describe so many of our forum.

Dave

mcnerney 01-15-2013 03:34 PM

Re: Casting for Recovery
 
Newby's flies for CFR arrived late yesterday, I've now got them loaded in the fly box, they look awesome! He generously tied the white CDC and Elk Hair Caddis on the left and the assorted Mini-Hoppers. JP's flies are the last two rows on the left. Boy will the gals at CFR have a big grin on their faces when they see those flies. Thanks again Newby and JP for contributing to such a great cause!

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...medium/CFR.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.