The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 12:01 PM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about
Default Suggestions for On-Line Fly Supply

I don't know if this question is in the right place, or even if it's with-in the rules (couldn't find anything against it).

I'd like to order some flies on-line. Either Canadian based business, or an American one willing to ship to Canada.

Suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance.

Jamie O'F.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:42 PM

flyguy1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for On-Line Fly Supply

What sort of flies are you looking for? I am starting an online fly business and I should be up and running very soon. I can beat almost every price I have seen online for most patterns. How soon do you need them?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:48 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I have had great luck with Ebay...

PM me if you want to know two other online individuals I will send you the links I use... Just in case it is against the rules... Maybe Frank will chime in on this one..

CritterGetter

PS... I don't tie flies yet so online it tons cheaper than local. I will support local first trip to an area after that if I return I will order online before I go.. That is for basic fly's like hairsears, copperJohns, San Juan worms, Wollybuggers... Local shops will usually have what other flys work like #22 translucent midges for the San Juan river.. no way finding them online...
Old 07-25-2010, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Obviously someone advertising their fly tying business would not be allowed. Responding to a question like this post is a little different. A legitimate question was asked so you can provide a response with who you buy flies from.

I do keep my eye out for planted questions so someone can advertise but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Some new, first post, members do try to work the system but they usually leave when I challenge them about advertising. This tells me their sole reason for joining NAFFF was to advertise their products.

We also have honest mistakes made by new members who advertise but are more than willing to change their post and remove the advertising. Some of these have become good, active members.

Frank
Old 07-25-2010, 09:39 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Check out this recent posting:

Orvis flies....50 cents

Good prices on some flies (some not so good), at least while they are still on sale.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:48 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Thanks Frank... I knew you would make sure everything is good...

Jamieof

I have ordered flies from these two shops for about 3 to 4 years now. I have never had poor quality flys from either. I found that one set of hooks were a little brittle when I would bend them off center so I had to be more careful. Again, I order the basics from them and then shop local when needed. And don't forget Ebay. There are several sellers on ebay that do a great job. Just watch their ratings. And, the best time of the year to get deals on ebay is in the winter. Nobody is bidding. I bid on 50 dozen to split up ended getting flies for around 38 cents each

Benton actually took a fly I shipped to him and replicated it for me with Beadheads. He is in Maine and has a killer New England accent. Anyway he allows you to order in 1/2 dozen at a time which is great if you want to try several kinds and sizes His link is = B E N T O N F L Y B O X | Home of the 50 Cent Wet Fly | All Dry Flies $3.50/Half-Dozen

Dan at Flydealflies sells flies in 1 dozen at a time. He also has tungsten head flies for around 65 cents each, everybody else sells them higher. His link is = FLY FISHING FLIES / $0.42 fishing flies / fly fishing gear

Good luck
CritterGetter
Old 07-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eric at Bighorn Flies sells some very nice stuff at a very reasonable price, check out his site and you will see what I'm talking about.
Bighorn Flies

Larry
Old 07-25-2010, 08:47 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Fly Shack
Big Y Fly
Blue Fly Cafe

Bought from all three at various times in the past, latest was from Fly Shack--no complaints, good service, good quality, good price.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 PM

flyguy1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Frank. I was just giving this person an honest answer. I am not trying to do business here...I'm more interested in getting to know fly fishermen and giving advice. I don't even sell anything at this point...if it was me you were referring to? I will be more careful in the future.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:08 AM

bighorn flies has a spectacular aura aboutbighorn flies has a spectacular aura about

I think Frank was probably talking to me