The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:37 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly line for HMX rod

A few years ago, I won a Fenwick HMX size 9 fly rod, a Fenwick Nighthawk reel and some double taper Fenwick line size 9.

I have decided to buy a weight forward floating fly line for fishing large streamers, tandem streamers size 2 and 4 and even large flies for pike.

First of all, is the HMX considered to be a fast rod?

I was thinking of buying a Rio Grande WF9 or a Rio Gold WF9. Any other choices I should consider?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly line for HMX rod

edit - oops. wrong rod!

Last edited by brookfieldangler; 01-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

For Pike I like the SA Pike Musky Taper for bigger Pike size flies. I have seen a few Fenwick rods, but not the HMX. I doubt it is a very fast rod though. Not that that is a bad thing.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

You should definitely look at what Dan mentioned above, and/or check out an SA Titan Taper/Magnum Taper, Rio Pike Taper, Rio Outbound Short. All of these lines will get the job done and done well...
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
You should definitely look at what Dan mentioned above, and/or check out an SA Titan Taper/Magnum Taper, Rio Pike Taper, Rio Outbound Short. All of these lines will get the job done and done well...
Great info....thanks.
Even though I do like to fish for landlocked salmon and sea run brook trout, I do have the double taper line so going all the way to a Rio Pike Taper looks like a good move. For trolling tandem streamers, I also have a SA fast sinking line 7 weight . Since I won't be casting, I can troll with my 7 weight rod or my 9 weight rod. Trolling for big brook trout and landlocked salmon is popular and productive in my region.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I had a 6wt HMX and it was advertized as a fast action rod but it worked well with the 6wt WFF Hardy Mach II line I used with it. If I hadn't lost the tip section of the rod I'd still be using it as I really liked it.