The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Advice about some 3 wt?

So I'm considering upgrading my 3 wt. this year (I currently use a Cabela's Three Forks 7' 6" 3 wt.). I've done some research, and I think I've narrowed it down to these rods: St. Croix Avid, Winston Passport, Echo Carbon, Winston GVX, And one other one I can't remember the name of right now. The characteristics I want are as follows: 7' 9" to 8 ft., medium/progressive action, under $250.00 ( I know, the GVX is around $300, but if I test drive it and like it, AND it's 8 ft. I might stretch my limit). I'm going to test drive these rods and a few others, as I'm in no rush to upgrade; just want to see if I can find my 'perfect' 3 wt, so to speak.

Also, does anyone have another suggestion that I might have overlooked?

This is to be a dryfly only rod, for fishing a couple creeks I visit, where the 7' 6" Three Forks is just a touch short. I want that medium fast/progressive action so I can load the rod with only about three feet of line out of the tip, but also be able to haul a 40 ft. cast when necessary. Also, the extra length would come in handy when I fish the thing from a tube.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your responses.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice about some 3 wt?

I can only comment on the Avid as I had one and regrettably sold it. It fits your bill really well. I remember it as a very smooth rod that based on my memory reminds me of my Sage ZXL , much more suited to throwing dries or smaller nymph rigs. It didn't have that high gear of a TXL where you can horse it a little more in the wind or handle a little bit bigger fly when needed.

I was very fond of my 7'9" Avid

If you are looking for a more multi purpose 3WT it might not be perfect but for what I described above it was great.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:04 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite small stream 3 wt.; on an all-around basis, is Sage's ZXL. I fish a 7'6" 3 wt. consistently and have never been disappointed by its performance.

I think that Sage has discontinued this line in favor of what they now call the Circa.

You may be able to pick up a good deal on a ZXL at this point; either from a dealer with left-over stock or online.

I think it's worth a test cast, if you can get ahold of one.

Pocono
Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
My favorite small stream 3 wt.; on an all-around basis, is Sage's ZXL. I fish a 7'6" 3 wt. consistently and have never been disappointed by its performance.

I think that Sage has discontinued this line in favor of what they now call the Circa.

You may be able to pick up a good deal on a ZXL at this point; either from a dealer with left-over stock or online.

I think it's worth a test cast, if you can get ahold of one.

Pocono

I was going to suggest this actually but all I've seen team on closeout is in the $425 range which I though might be pushing the budget to much.

I love my ZXL 376-4,

The circa has replad the ZXL in Sages line up and it looks/feels sweet. My wallet didnt feel the same way
Old 01-12-2013, 01:58 PM

jeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nice

I have the same three forks as you and a 6 foot avid 3 weight. The avid is a big step up from the three forks. My avid feels moderate-fast to fast with a 444 dt laser line. I would think the 7'9" would be moderate as advertized. Avid is a nice blank no frills rod for that price range. Casts great but I would cast one before you buy. Later on these will be backup rods to your high end stuff lol.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:01 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

take a look at the allen ats rods
ATS Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
i have a 4 weight and love it!!

casey
shortyb likes this.

ARFE