The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about
Default How it's made.

I don't know if anyone here has ever seen a show on Discovery called "How it's Made". Basically it is a show where they show you the processes involved in making various things we see and use every day. Well I just finished watching a real interesting segment. They visited the Thomas and Thomas Hendrickson fly rod company and showed how they make bamboo rods from actual bamboo tree trunks to finished product. Wicked cool and gives one a real respect for the craftsmanship that goes into those things! 40 hours is what they say it takes to make just one rod. And when they say it is a work of art they are not kidding!!!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: How it's made.

yeah, iv'e seen that show before, it's really quite interesting.
i watched one where the went to the ross reel factory in colorado, very cool
i'll keep my eyes open for the t&t episode.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that and it is very cool. They also did a piece on graphite fly rods.

Bamboo, however, is a grass and not a tree. Hence "Sweetgrass" rods by Glenn Bracket, who left Winston when they closed the bamboo rod manufacturing down.

http://www.sweetgrassrods.com/about-...ur-legacy.html

Former Winston Rod owner, Glenn Bracket > Twin Bridges, Montana

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Brian: Wow, that would have been interesting to watch, sorry I missed that one.

Larry

Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Silver Creek, thanks for the neat info. Didn't see the one on graphite rods yet, though.

And Casey, no I have not seen the Ross reel one yet. Sounds like another good segment I need to try and find.....
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Good to know. Unfortunately I only have netflix and hulu so I'll have to wait for it to come out.

In the mean time I've been reading Garrison and Carmichael's A Master's Guide to Building a Bamboo Fly Rod. Now THAT is an eye opener to what it takes to make a rod, truly by hand.
brian miville likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go:

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

And the Ross episode:

Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

And here's the bamboo one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cw2wswHjGc

At the end of one of the rod building ones, the guy says that all that's left is to string the pole up and cast some bait.

That made me cringe.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM

Nice finds swirlchaser and newby!

Last edited by brian miville; 01-14-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

That show is great! Everything from baseball bats to bamboo rods... even candy bars. I always wondered how they coated candy bars with chocolate. A lot of the shows are on youtube, and I just added that channel to my tv's streaming medis device. Now we can watch fly fishing videos on a 42" HD screen.