The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 PM

muzz flaco will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kung Fu Sabbatical 13

Sabbatical update: Currently in limbo.

Counting down the days! Pushed back my departure a couple weeks due to work commitments but will be out of here sometime mid-April. Only 14 working days left!

Still no first destination set, second destination is up in the air as well, and so on. I figure the fishing and weather reports will be my compass. Thanks to everyone that sent me fishing invites, flies, and supplies. Thanks again to PinetopBob for doubling my fly arsenal and my first commercial sponsor Barrett Outfitters (the decal looks great on the 4runner).

Had a bad case of cabin fever a few weeks back, ignored the weather gods and made an attempt at fishing the rim. Got stuck* in the snow for 24 hours but eventually managed to find some ice-free water and got the 2013 skunk off.

*3rd generation native Phoenician** snow driving skills at their finest.
**But Iíll show you whatís what driving across a flash flood, son.

Muzzy
williamhj likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Muzzy: Sounds like a good plan to just have a general idea and then use the wx reports to help with the final decisions, best of luck!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Hope you make it to New England! If so, holla atcha boy!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM

muzz flaco will become famous soon enough

Update:
I took a break from packing last week and ran up to Northern AZ with some friends for some Pike fishing. Iím going to hit a couple AZ favorites over the next couple weeks and then hit the road for the long haul.

My first pike.
Click the image to open in full size.
dean_mt and williamhj like this.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

To make your life easier on the road... Take advantage of CraigsList for places to crash...I watched a documentary awhile back about a guy that lived a year off of just finding places to crash through the ol CL... But it worked out for him... Never really had any threatening encounters... lot cheaper than a hotel room too
Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz flaco View Post
Update:
I took a break from packing last week and ran up to Northern AZ with some friends for some Pike fishing. Iím going to hit a couple AZ favorites over the next couple weeks and then hit the road for the long haul.

My first pike.
Click the image to open in full size.
Muzzy: Congrats on the nice Pike! Looking forward to reading about your adventure!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

First congrats on the choice to enjoy life and follow your heart, takes courage. Second, like your choice of rods, nice fish! Best of luck!

Craig
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

This is very interesting and I wish you all the best. You said maybe to BC? If you are in Montana go up to Alberta its not too far of a drive. Check out the Waterton National park, Crowsnest pass area, Oldman river, and defienetly the Bow river. If you decide to make it up here let me know and we can go fishing.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default It Can Be Done!

I'll add my 'Good Luck' to the other posts and tell you a little about how I dealt with the past 30 years or so. There are many details I won't touch on but you'll get the basics from it.

When I had a company job I began applying for an unpaid leave of absence every January from 1981 - 1986. The company granted me 6 weeks twice and 4 weeks 3 times. My office scheduler allowed me to take the leaves in conjunction with my paid time off that accumulated for years of service.

That strategy made it possible to piece together 6 and 9 week periods of time during which I did what you are talking about. I traveled to Newfoundland and many other places that would have been impossible otherwise with a 2 week vacation. I traveled via motorcycle and through those years racked up over 70,000 miles of trout & salmon biking and camping. I quit my job in 1988 and left for Alaska in May of 1989 where I took a job as a commercial fisherman and then fished my way home to Pennsylvania when the season ended in the fall of 89'.

By 1993 I started my own little business and kept my schedule in line so that I could travel and fish many days and weeks each year. I lived in an area where you could fish every day after finishing your work responsibilities so things were good.

By 2004 I had managed to have lived for 50 years and decided to pick one of the places I had enjoyed while fishing there and to move to that location. Colorado was that place but not long after getting settled in I was contacted by a friend in Alaska and offered a 90 day position in that state again. I left within a week but the 90 days turned into 9 years. The job allowed me to earn enough to grubstake myself here after 2 years and so.............. I resigned and started my own little business again. During my first 14 months here in Alaska, even though I was earning enough money to rent a place I took one room as a boarder for 300 dollars a month. I lived in a home that had a husband - wife - and three kids for 14 months. It was hectic, but it allowed me to save almost everything I earned. I had brought my old Ford truck up here and so was able to wander around at will. In January of 06 I bought a Kawasaki KLR 650 that gets 52 mpg and then really got wandering.

At the age of 52 I got married and continued working my thing until last year. Of course I fished as many days as possible over the years because my work had no real schedule and I set the hours. Last year we made a capital investment in another business venture (small business) and it will take a couple years to develop the business but if all is well I will be able to fish and run the rivers from ice out until freeze up every season until I am too old to do it.

Why say all of that? I guess it's to show that you can do it. You may experience hard times and you better be able to rough it when you have to. When I was just starting my business in Pennsylvania back in 1993 - 94, I rented a 'Hay Loft' for $50.00 a month and I lived in that hay loft with my dog for a year until I had enough money to rent a house with a shop and pay all the expenses of my business as well.

It was tough, I did have furniture in the barn but there was no heat or water. The $50 rent was actually for use of a shower stall in the garage of the property owner that I was able to use. The good news was that the barn was right beside Lycoming Creek and I could fish whenever I wasn't working.

It can be done. I'll be 59 in a few months and have been all over the Continent fishing, 45 states and 9 provinces of Canada. You just have to want it,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-09-2013, 02:42 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

You have chosen well, Grasshopper.[COLOR="Silver"]