The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Kung Fu Sabbatical 13

VERY COOL....

You have inspired me to take a month or so, when i move to Co. Maybe longer.....gezz....is Sept. here yet.

Well done, thank you for sharing.

Jim
Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 AM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough

Awesome thread. I'm in Bozeman and will have my new raft around the 26th of July. If your swinging through SouthWest MT I'm going to be floating something nearly every day from 26 July to August 14th. Shoot me a PM if you want to do a float.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:45 AM

finisher will become famous soon enough

Looks like your trip is going well. If you find yourself in northern idaho feel free to send me a message. I'd be happy to sling some flies with you.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Last week Muzzy was fishing below Fontenelle Reservoir, but I couldn't join him as I had made plans to take my son and his family out to a Rockies baseball game (for his birthday) and when he called we were about to leave for Denver. Muzzy then spent the 4th with friends in Park City and now he is back in the Pinedale area. Today we did a float together on the Green River outside of town. Muzzy is a great guy to meet and if you get a chance to fish with him don't pass up the opportunity, we just had an awesome time fishing together today. Here are a few photos of todays fishing trip on the Green. Unfortunately the fishing was a little slow due to the water being way off color due to the recent afternoon thunderstorms we have been having. I'm certainly not complaining as we need any moisture we can get. Tomorrow we are all set for another float together, I think we will float the New Fork.
Here is Muzzy with a beautiful Wyoming Brown trout:
Click the image to open in full size.
The Green River:
A small Brown Trout:
Another shot of the Green River near Pinedale, WY
Our mode of transportation:
Muzzy with another nice Wyoming Brown Trout:
One of the Browns I landed:
I think this is the same fish:
Another nice Brown Trout:
imxer, theboz and mridenour like this.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Man muzzy is looking rough! Get to fish with him next week in Colorado. Looking forward to it!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:23 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pics Larry! looks like you guys had a good day even with the conditions!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-09-2013, 02:17 AM

streamborn_jr77 is on a distinguished road

Pretty upset i was not in utah when you were passing through would have loved to take you around maybe next time
Old 07-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday, Muzzy and I did another float together, this time on the New Fork river. This is a pretty small piece of water and we saw like five other boats, which is pretty unusual, but the Green is blown out due to the recent afternoon rains, so all the guides have moved over to the New Fork to fish. So needless to say Muzzy and I had to work for the fish we caught, but had a great time fishing together despite the conditions. I tried streamer fishing, but couldn't buy a fish with the streamer rod, finally had to put that down and follow Muzzy's lead with the dry flies. Here are some photos from the trip:
Muzzy on the oars! He wanted to learn how to row a drift boat so we spent some time working on that on both days, by the end of the second day he was getting pretty proficient at maneuvering the boat around the obstacles.
First fish of the day, finally we got the skunk of the boat!
Muzzy with a nice Brown Trout:
Muzzy with a nice Rainbow:
A nice Brown I landed:
Muzzy working a nice seam:
Another nice Brown:

Last edited by mcnerney; 07-10-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Yesterday it was back on the Green river for Muzzy's last day of fishing in Wyoming, before heading back to Denver for a wedding. This time we decided to go wade fishing below Fontenelle Reservoir. Muzzy had his area picked out, as he had decided to head down the night before and camp, I brought the NFO pontoon boat down so I launched at the dam and planned on hitting a few spots before joining him around noon. Very interesting day, the forecast called for 17 mph NW winds, when I got there the wind was already starting to pickup so as I set up, decided to leave the 4 wt rod in the truck which turned out to be a mistake as the winds died and didn't come up until about 2 pm and when it did it came hard and fast, but by then we both had enough fishing in for one day so why continue and have to fight the wind. The bug activity was just incredible, there were PMD's, Yellow Sallies, Midges, small BWO's, Caddis and small black spinners on the water so it took some time to figure out what the fish were feeding on. Where I was at the spinners were blanketing the water so it was obvious that the fish were up sipping spinners, but it only lasted maybe 45 minutes. Muzzy didn't have the spinners down where he was located. We both had a blast fishing, caught a bunch of small guys, a few nice fish and lost some real lunkers, but the fights were terrific and all on small dry flies. It was great getting the opportunity to meet Muzzy and fish with him for a few days while he is out on his sabbatical. Here are a few photos from the yesterday's fishing:
Muzzy with a very nice Cutthroat (personal best):
A nice Rainbow:
My dog out enjoying the bird chasing:
Another nice Rainbow:
Lots of these little guys up on the surface sipping bugs:

Old 08-21-2013, 01:51 PM

muzz flaco will become famous soon enough

Haven’t had a 4g or internet connection forever. Turns out that hotels are a lot more expensive outside of major metropolitan cities that aren’t currently 120 degrees hot!. Summation of the last couple months. Sorry but no time to write up good reports. Need to shower, wash the car, catch up with the family, pay the credit cards, and get some groceries. And get some of those bacon covered donuts they have up here. Thank you to everyone for the fishing invites and help.

July 28th 2013. 3 Months, 8,000 miles later, and I still haven’t made it to Montana or Idaho. I’m back in Colorado for Captain Kirk’s Wedding. I’ve spent the last few weeks circling Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah. In Wyoming I fished Gray’s Reef, Miracle Mile, and several different sections of the Green River. Drift boated for the first time with McNerney from NAFF. Visited some friends in Park City Utah for the 4th of July. Now back at the Fukuchi fish camp in Denver for some great fishing and a casting tune up. This Colorado trip we’ve fished the Ark and several sections of the Platte River.

Aug 21st 2013 Quick update: I couldn’t get a late check-out this morning so I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking. Left Denver early August, checked out Rocky Mountain National Park, Steamboat Springs, and Walden Colorado. Hit Jackson Hole, and set a land speed record through Yellow Stone National Park. I fished around Island Park Idaho on the Henry’s Fork. Had a great time at Trout Hunters in Last Chance, ID. Montana so far; Big Sky, Bozeman, Twin Bridges, and Missoula. Checked out the Gallatin River were they filmed the fishing scenes from “A River Runs Through it”. Picked up a friend from AZ and went on an epic Bull Trout trip.
Animals I’ve seen over the last 3 weeks, Buffalo, Black Bear, Mountain Lion, and Moose. I haven’t spotted a Grizzly yet, but no complaints about that.

Bull Trout!
Lando's Alpha Male Bull
First Fish in Montana. Not bad, I like it here.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Last edited by muzz flaco; 08-21-2013 at 02:07 PM.