Kung Fu Sabbatical 13

muzz flaco

Reaction score
Fair warning, this could be a midlife crisis unfolding.

A year ago, on my 13th work anniversary I came to the conclusion that I needed a change-up. I thought about quitting my job and walking the Old West from town to town solving local scofflaw issues with Kung-Fu. What I needed was another year to save some money and learn Kung-Fu. Here we are a year later, I’ve given my employer 2 months’ notice, and I’m out of here late March.

As it turns out, I didn’t save as much as planned and failed to learn any Kung Fu whatsoever. New plan: I’m going fly fishing. I’m going to sell or give away what’s not nailed down, pack my gear, and hit the road. With a no frills budget, I can make it maybe 9-12 months before I have to figure out a new career. Camping and fishing for a week or so at a time, then head back to whatever town and cheap motel is nearby for a cleanup and supplies. I don’t have an itinerary, just going to follow the fish.

I picked up fly fishing 5 years ago, my first real trip was to the White mountains. I was addicted; it’s the only way to mix fishing and (ADHD). After that, I rearranged my life to get in 40-60 days a year on the water. Excluding one salmon fishing trip to Yakutat, Alaska and a week in southern Utah, I’ve been spending almost all of my time fishing the Mogollon Rim and White Mountains of AZ. For my sabbatical, I’m very interested in fishing moving water, but still plan on bringing my float tube. I have a capable 4x4 and I’m in good shape. That said, I don’t own any rappelling gear and I’d rather not free-climb any frozen waterfalls. No Bear Grylls B.S. for me.

Too much water not enough time and money. Unfortunately I can’t cross off the entire “1000 places to fish before you die” list on this particular adventure. While keeping my options open, I feel that I’d like to focus or at least start the fly fishing sabbatical out West. I’m thinking UT, CO, ID, MT, WY, NV, and possibly B.C. would be a good start.

What I do need is some direction. I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole, but a state, river or lake, and a time of year would be greatly appreciated. What was your best trip? What is the trip you always wanted to go on? What should I start with in April ‘bows, browns, brooks, bulls, cutts, pike, salmon, steelhead?

I’ll post location updates, let me know if you’re in the area and want to go fishing.

Feel free to PM me.

Topics to cover later:

Camping suggestions? Preferably not all pay to stay crowded parking lot campsites, then again, I don’t want to go “Castaway” style and start calling my fly rod, “Wilson”.

Gladly accepting all corporate sponsorships! Wrap my 4Runner with your logo for gas cards! Front windshield decal 3x extra. Kind of joking, but not.

I’d like start a blog or something to send to my chump (working for the man) friends to make them jealous. Facebook, blogspot, website, suggestions

Kung Fu Sabbatical Part II: Belize, New Zealand, Mongolia, Patagonia, Etc.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Congratulations, I am jealous. I am going to go out on a limb and assume you are not married :D

Since you are in Az, start your trip in New Mexico, work your way up to Durango area. From there depending on Run Off flows you could hang in the Rockies and kill most of the summer. Anywhere around Dillon you have the Blue, the Eagle, the Colorado, the Gore.

Them head south fishing the Arkansas and down the S. Platte.

Sounds like a good way to use up one month of your allotted time

Call you Forest "I just felt like fishing"

Chronicle the trip in pics I would love to see it

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Since you are in Arizona, why not start at Lees Ferry. Here is a trip report from another forum member to give you some ideas (if you haven't fished there before). http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/western-u-s/292215-lees-ferry-arizona.html

Late March, early April would also be a good time to hit the San Juan river, it will be a bit cold at night but warms up nicely during the daytime and there is camping right there on the river.

Another location I would definitely fit into the schedule is the Green River below Flaming Gorge. I like going there in late April/early May, the wx can be pretty unpredicable making camping tough but the fishing is awesome and the tuber hatch doesn't really start until Memorial Day weekend. There is no camping allowed on the first 7 miles of the river (called the A section), but there are several campsites in the area. The B section has several very nice campsites along the river and this is a nice choice after the tuber hatch as the people floating stay on the A section with the rapids, so even in the summer months the B section has more solitude.

You stated that you are in good physical shape, with that in mind another option (mid-July and later) would be to come into Wyoming and do a back packing trip into the Winds. There are an estimated 800 lakes in those mtns with some great fishing opportunities for mainly cutties and Goldens. If you do consider this option get yourself the North and South Wind River Range hiking and guide map by Earhtwalk Press. I'd also highly recommend getting a copy of Rich Osthoff's book "Fly-Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry".

Best of luck with your trip and I'm looking forward to reading about your adventure.

muzz flaco

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to check this post out. Some quick answers to some of the feedback and questions I’ve received. I’m 38, soon to be 39. Not married, no kids, no dog, no mortgage.

I get to Lee’s Ferry a few times a year. I have very limited knowledge of fishing holes outside of AZ but I’d wager that the Ferry has to be in the top ten most beautiful.

I’m planning on spending a lot of time in CO during my sabbatical but still want to try to see as much as possible. I’ve never been to the national parks we have out west.

Really like the sound of some of the backpacking fishing trips being suggested. I went on a few pack-in fishing trips last year and really enjoyed them. Then again, we don’t have grizzlies in AZ.

Working on a blog / website, I’m IT challenged; hope to have it up and running by March. I plan posting details of every leg of the trip. Considering starting a true website with a web address rather than a blog website.

Please feel free to ask any questions or PM me.

muzz flaco

Reaction score
You have an interesting way with words. At the very least blog it....Maybe a book? I'd read it.
Thank you. The original Sab 13 post took me a while to knockout. If you would have read the post prior to the spelling/grammar check you probably would have thought I was borderline illiterate. I used to be able write something like that in my sleep. Turn out the muscles in my brain must have atrophied over the last decade due to neglect, lack of exercise, and alleged debauchery. Hopefully some of those brain pathways will rebound with all the free time I have coming up to read and write.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Really like the sound of some of the backpacking fishing trips being suggested. I went on a few pack-in fishing trips last year and really enjoyed them. Then again, we don’t have grizzlies in AZ.
The whole bear thing can easily get blown out of reality. Get yourself a can of bear spray, read the directions so you know how to use it, the effective range is something like 30 ft so you have to let the bear get very close before spraying and pay attention to the wind. If you read Rich Osthoff's book you will see that he has logged some phenomenal miles hiking (usually solo) in the back country and has never had a bear incident, but if you continue to read you realize that record isn't by accident, he is religious about keeping a clean camp and doesn't sleep near any food, where possible the food is hoisted into a tree.

cptxkirk

Reaction score
Thank you. The original Sab 13 post took me a while to knockout. If you would have read the post prior to the spelling/grammar check you probably would have thought I was borderline illiterate. I used to be able write something like that in my sleep. Turn out the muscles in my brain must have atrophied over the last decade due to neglect, lack of exercise, and alleged debauchery. Hopefully some of those brain pathways will rebound with all the free time I have coming up to read and write.
Lets be honest......the word "alleged" does not need to come before debauchery, and has no place in your statement! :worthy:

chased

Reaction score
This sounds almost exactly like what I want to do, I don't want my hiatus to end though :wink:. I would definitely be interested in reading your blog if you ever make one. If you are ever driving down I-80 through Nebraska and want to catch big trout or carp, get a hold of me!

-Chase

watson

Reaction score
Sounds like you are in for some good times....:D
If you make it up this way I would be more than happy to point you in the right direction. Hit me up when you start to define some plans.
Cheers,
Watson

williamhj

Reaction score
Definitely a blog with pictures! Could also have a running thread on here with some pictures. If you keep us up to date on what you're doing and where you are I bet you'll get up to date fishing tips along the way.

mbchilton

Reaction score
Sounds incredible. Hopper fishing The Driftless Area in summer is pretty amazing. If you're interested in coming to the midwest I'd be happy to hang out with you for a couple days.

muzz flaco

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the trip advise, well wishes, and invites. Pretty cool inviting a complete stranger to go fishing. I have a couple places penciled in for the start of the trip. After that, going to be watching the weather and fishing reports. Prior to this plan, when I was plugged into the routine, the days, weeks, and months flew by. Now that I’m really geeked up for this, it’s the longest 2 months ever. Feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.