The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hardy Drops The Perfect

Was talking to a Hardy dealer today and was told that Hardy has dropped the Perfect from their 2013 catalog. The Wide Perfect is still available but not the original reel with agate line guide. Has anyone else heard this?

Dave
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy Drops The Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Was talking to a Hardy dealer today and was told that Hardy has dropped the Perfect from their 2013 catalog. The Wide Perfect is still available but not the original reel with agate line guide. Has anyone else heard this?

Dave
Sounds like you better make a couple calls, Dave ...
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Sounds like you better make a couple calls, Dave ...

Naaaa, it's too early to call upon the Blind Pig.

Dave
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 AM

surface film is on a distinguished road

They are being replaced with the Wide models...

Wide models are not available at this point.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

For what it's worth, I was just on the Hardy site and they are still listed.

It's sort of hard for me to imagine what has changed so much in what is considered a traditional pastime such as fly fishing, that reels that have been around for a long time, no longer have a market. For reels like the Medalist and Perfect, which are on either end of the price spectrum, to disappear is somewhat baffling to me.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine the uproar if this were to be true, but I guess we'll all find out sooner or later. I'm hoping they keep with production, and keep the production of the Perfect in the UK.

I'm not sure moving exclusive to wide models would be a a sensible move, though I could see adding that as an option to the rotation. I was reading on another forum where it was stated that they were going to keep the Perfect, but remove the agate line guide from the Perfect reels. Also mentioned was that they were to keep production in Alnwick. Who knows what they're up to.

I did the same thing pszy mentioned and went to the website upon reading the first post and found the same thing. Current models were still listed.

Hopefully Burk chimes in to provide us with an update. Either that or enogh time has passed for David to make a few calls for us.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Howard Croston, an employee of Hardys Alnwick was asked about two months ago about the production of the perfects coming to an end.
They are not . He said the perfects would still be produced at Alnwick, but no more would be made with agate line guards, as the cost was prohibitive. So it's the wide reels now without agate line guards but we still have the Perfect.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee dave View Post
Howard Croston, an employee of Hardys Alnwick was asked about two months ago about the production of the perfects coming to an end.
They are not . He said the perfects would still be produced at Alnwick, but no more would be made with agate line guards, as the cost was prohibitive. So it's the wide reels now without agate line guards but we still have the Perfect.
That's quite correct Dave, I was fishing with him a few weeks back, and he told me exactly the same.
Shame really, I love agates on a perfect.
S.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee dave View Post
Had to chortle when I read the above. Considering what they charge for that reel ........ vs. what's actually got to cost to produce. Any word on a taker to buy Hardy out? Haven't seen anything of yet suggesting any serious lookers.

fae
Old 01-16-2013, 04:10 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Had to chortle when I read the above. Considering what they charge for that reel ........ vs. what's actually got to cost to produce. Any word on a taker to buy Hardy out? Haven't seen anything of yet suggesting any serious lookers.

fae
Couple in the Far East I think Fred, still early days.
S.