The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Camping Info around Penn's Creek....

I plan to hit the "Great Green Drake Hatch" on Penn's this year (weather permitting) and was wondering if you guys might know of reasonably cheap camping somewhere close. I was thinking maybe Poe Paddy then I could hike down stream via the tracks. If you guys know of any other "low budget" campgrounds I'm all ears.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 AM

derelict is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Camping Info around Penn's Creek....

Whoa, when is this? I have a friend with a cabin on Penns Creek and I have been putting off a trip there. When is this supposed to happen?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

It starts on the lower Penns around mid May and works its way upstream till June. But I heard last year they were way ahead of schedule on account of the warmer weather. Who knows what this year will bring.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:13 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Poe Paddy is where I stayed last year for the opener...it's a dandy of a spot and I would recommend it!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Yeah that looks to be the best bet so far. Does it get jammed up around that time? Not the river, that's a given, but the campground.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, PA hatches were early last year, but they are generally in Mid May. State campgrounds are generally the least expensive way to go but I think they're all within a few $$ if you're looking for a place to throw a tent. Most of the folks who tent seem to either stay at Poe Paddy or Hemlock Acres.

As for the crowds that time of year, I'd expect them when the hatch is on, especially on weekends. Those drakes draw a good amount of activity of both fish and fishermen.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 PM

I'll have to check out Hemlock Acres, Thanks Jaybo!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Yeah it gets very crowded...I would reserve a spot in either place sooner or later...I have heard or people's staking out spots way before sunrise during the drake hatch
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

drakes were on time last year, the early hatches came off early, by the march brown we were back to normal after some much needed rain. I stay here and avoid the crowds down there. drakes are just as good here on pine and no crowds..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..