The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Why you should wear eyewear!!

This is a very, very disturbing link and is probably not for people with a weak constitution. Just to warn you ahead of time.

Looking at some of these pictures has scarred me for life -- but I think it's important enough to share in case anyone is "lax" about wearing eye protection out there at times.

I know that I will personally NEVER even hold a fly rod without eyewear on (sunglasses).

So, sorry if this is kind of gross -- but if it helps someone, I'm really not sorry.

Why you should Always wear Glasses and Only use Barbless hooks. the limp cobra

Also, sorry if this was already posted and I missed it.
mrfzx and brucerducer like this.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why you should wear eyewear!!

Good reminder.....That made my eyes water
I'll second always wearing sunglasses as I consider them to be part of the essentials equipment needed when fishing.
Ouch,
Watson
mcnerney and mrfzx like this.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

When I started late evening streamer fishing it bugged me that I needed to lose the sunglasses to even see the landing zone. After smacking myself in a "chuck and duck" set up, I've picked up a pair of clear mountain biking glasses to put the fear to bed. Easy fix to what could be a life-altering cast.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had to turn around and drive home because my wife forgets her glasses...her PRESCRIPTION glasses! I've worn prescription eyewear for the past 35 years, and they've saved my eyes from all sorts of things on many occasions. Last week I bought my first pair of prescription sunglasses: wrap-around Ray Bans. Tons of $$$, but I decided that clip-ons didn't look cool, and offered little protection on the sides.

New Convertible Mandated New Sunglasses

Click the image to open in full size.

Oh Yeah! They're polarized!!!!!
mcnerney, mrfzx and lthrnk03 like this.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough

Great googely-moogely!!! I am staunch believer in always wearing sunglasses or glasses while fishing. Back in December while I was in Buffalo, I was getting ready to head out for the day. While putting my contacts in, I dropped one and couldn't find it. I brought no back ups with me, so I was relegated to bringing my glasses with me and switching between my glasses and polarized sunglasses all day. Luckily, I am near sighted and I don't have a very strong prescription. As much as a "hassle" as it was to switch back and forth all day long....I didn't even think twice about it. As far as hooks....every fly I have bought or tied...the very first thing I do is crush the barb. I'd rather lose a fish than have to punch a hook through or cut my fishing short for a trip to the ER to have it removed.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

That is really a good reminder, especially for me, because I did forget my glasses during the last two fishing days

THORSTEN
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

As a nearly 100% visual person, I really need my eyes for life. My hearing is fine, but I'm about as dumb as a board via that route of perception .

I use barbless hooks to tie and also crimp barbs, but my God either way I'll never be without eyewear.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

A few years back I wore eyewear when fishing on an intermittant basis. Then one evening while fishing for Walleye with my 15' two hander, I hooked the bottom with a Clouser. It was not really far away from me so I put my marker at the rod tip and cast the line past the fly, then with the line laying on the water pull and the fly usually comes off the snag away from me. It didn't. So I tried to do it again, but it must have almost come loose and setting up to do it again the fly came out of the water and hit me right in my open eye. It hurt like a son of a gun. I got lucky and it hit oriented where the lead and the barb did no damage. I became an eyewear advocate right there on the spot.

In the dark I wear clear safety glasses;
Daytime I wear dark glasses;
Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Good reminder for us all. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 AM

roofish is on a distinguished road

That has to be incrediblly painful