The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Home State Photography

The big question kwb, ever get into the summer run Skamania steelehead on the 'Joe?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
The big question kwb, ever get into the summer run Skamania steelehead on the 'Joe?
LOL, if you ever have read Supinski's books and seen the photos of his favorite creek mouth. I lived on the "upstream" point at the mouth of that cove. My Parents still live there. We dub that spot "the pay pond"...

So it was like a 100 yard walk from my house to there, grew up fishing there as a young lad and caught hundreds of skams there. Once I got in my early teens and figured out that the fish everyone were "releasing" were indeed swimming away to die, I quit fishing the creek mouths for the most part. If I did after that it was in the Fall when main river was cooler or when I didn't mind roping a few for the grill.

I have caught skams on dead drifted dries, skated dries, nymphs, egg patterns, stripped and swung streamers and all kinds of lures and bait in the main river, tribs and in Lake Michigan. There are a lot of other lesser known rivers in West Michigan you can catch skams in as well.

The Joe will always be my "home", even if I moved away for good, I have spent more hours dreaming of that river than I have dreaming about woman... LOL Kept me out of trouble when I was young and gets me into trouble now when I fish at times when I should be doing other things, funny how that works...

I miss the late 90's when a 15 pound Skam wasn't a big deal, nowadays that's a very very nice fish. Remember 40" skams being caught in the late 90's, especially 99...

This is about the current average size of skams you get nowadays, one from this Fall. Lot less food in Lake Michigan anymore.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is the last fish I got over 17 pounds, was two Summers ago off the pier, took shrimp under a bobber, not the most pleasing way to fish, but something I do a handful of times each year to get some for the smoker for my Grandpa.

Here is another shot of a Skam: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-A_txWwiaiH...97425811_n.jpg

The more I see the Skam fishery, the more I disagree with them being stocked here though, I have seen many Summers with hundreds upon hundreds of dead skams floating on the surface of the river when they ran and got trapped in the warm main river before they could find a tributary. If you get a push of water and the main river temp is under 74 degrees, they will run, if a heat wave follows that within a few days, that's when you see the big die-offs. Very sad sight to see that.

These days, I chase Smallies most the time and only fish for skams in a handful of tribs that stay cold enough to actually release them. Even those tribs have times where they are above 70 degrees and then I stay away.

As I get older, it's more about not seeing other anglers than it is catching lots of big fish, hence why Smallies take up so much of my time in the heat of the Summer anymore...

If I were King, the Skam stocking program would cease from existing on the Joe, but the niche it fills on the nearshore fishery of Lake Michigan will always keep it going. That's really what they are stocked for, to fill the lull when Kings are offshore and only available to the big boats. Well that and the Indiana creeks, which are much more suited to them than the main rivers of the Joe. Since we don't really have a run of Salmon in the river anymore, it does also provide a Fall migratory fishery we otherwise wouldn't really have and is a big bonus, but seeing the huge die-offs is simply sad to say the least. Guess you could call it a love/hate relationship...

Most the steelhead caught in Indiana waters of the Joe are also skams, so obviously provides them with a migratory fishery they otherwise wouldn't really have...

It also provides a catch & keep fishery as once those fish get above Buchanan Dam, virtually none will survive the journey back down through the dams anyway and natural reproduction here is darn near non-existent. If you like to eat fish, great place to get some for the table.

The hundreds of thousands of skam smolts stocked each year do make for healthy Smallmouth though!

Most the creek mouths have filled in so much in the past 10 years and with declining numbers of fish running each Summer, they aren't the high numbers fishery they once were. Last Summer with crazy low water levels, they hardly ran, skams are very apt to "stray" so rivers all over Lake Michigan seen good numbers of them, the cold ones anyway...

Without a doubt, the most fun I have ever had fishing "not including Bluegill fishing with my Great Grandpa when I was really young" is stripping Alewife patterns from a boat in Lake Michigan, catching chrome Skams. Those fish simply kick arse...

Likely more of a response than you wanted, but chasing Skams filled up a large part of my 29 years on this planet so easy for me to ramble on and on about.

If you ever want to come up and get some on a skated dry when the water is right, I would be happy to take you. Most people look at you like your crazy when you talk about doing that in Michigan, but early Skams will readily do it as long as you get to them before they have been pounded by the bobber fisherman. Something that is getting tougher to do these days I admit...
mcnerney and dean_mt like this.

Last edited by kwb; 01-17-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

While I can get into the country pretty easy (an hour plus drive) most of my fishing is takes place in an urban setting. Chicago and Milwaukee suburbs do offer some pretty dam good river fishing. While I could post some cool driftless photos they really arent what i consider my home waters (2.5 hour drive)

heres a few that i haven't posted in the photography threads

mcnerney and kwb like this.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

There is some outstanding Smallie fishing to be had in urban areas in your area, urban settings have their own appeal and draw, as I am sure you know.

Great photos!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
There is some outstanding Smallie fishing to be had in urban areas in your area, urban settings have their own appeal and draw, as I am sure you know.

Great photos!
Thanks, I just started flyfishing river smallies a few years back and have to say its the cats a$$.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 AM

It is tough to beat a day on the river Smallie fishing!

Nice fish and nice Tat!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

It's a very warm day. I'll have to see about getting some Kansas pics.

Pursuing these is about the only thing that equals pursuing fish on the fly:

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Kansas would be COOL, any Northeastern states as I have never really been to that part of the country, New Hampshire certainly looks amazing.

South Dakota

Utah

New Mexico

List could go on and on!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

The New York people don't know about or think of...

Local reservoir down the road

Where I caught my first trout on a fly

Styvesant Falls

"Hidden Lake" (Every state has 'em.)

Chris
mcnerney, jpbfly and kwb like this.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
Everyone's photography is great!

Brian- I would argue, your stuff is professional quality, I am not a professional and like you, do it just for fun, but your stuff has soul and I admire that. I never knew New Hampshire was so scenic, absolutely beautiful!

Why thank you! I must say you have some nice work too. I especially love that sunset photo....that is a very surreal looking photo!

I will say I am lucky in that the person who kinda nudged me into taking up photography IS a professional. He is a freelance landscape photographer, and I met him on a hiking forum I visit. We got to do some hiking, and I got to watch him do some of his own work. He was always there to offer me help and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney
Brian: All the photos submitted so far on this thread have been great, but your photos, like Kory said, have something special to them, not sure I can put it into words, but suffice to say they are very enjoyable to view, thanks for sharing!
Well, it does help to have a cooperative subject, and thankfully landscapes don't fidget much.

I do have to (shamefully) admit I have not taken many photos in the last couple years. I had gotten tired of carrying around 3 or 4 pounds of camera gear over 10-20 miles and anywhere from 2000-5000 feet of gain. But then again this was also when I was 70 pounds heavier (yes, I was one hefty fella ). I finally decided at the age of 31 to change things in my life. I lost 70 pounds and got much more healthier, but this was well after I had stopped carrying my camera. Now I don't think I have a good enough excuse anymore NOT to carry a measly few extra pounds. I think, perhaps, it is time to get back into the swing of things.
kwb likes this.