The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Home State Photography

Got this idea from another thread when another member was talking about his pride for his home state and mentioned having a nice camera.

We all I am sure have always wondered what places we have never been to are like, who better to show us these places than the very people who have spent their lives in them.

Thought it might be cool for anyone interested to maybe share a mini photo essay "or single photo" of sorts portraying the things they feel would show what their home state is like.

I was born and raised on the St. Joseph River in Michigan, spent most of my life fishing all of Western Michigan, when I get to work tomorrow "most my photos are on that computer", will post some of my favorite "Michigan" photos.

Anyone else interested?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Home State Photography

Hey kwb,

Well, I'll be honest, it has been a while since I really did much photography (carting 3 pounds of camera gear around for anywhere from 10-20 miles and over 2000-5000 feet of elevation gain lost it's appeal after a while ). But here are some of my more favorite shots from past shots I have taken. All are in the White Mountains, though I have some photos scattered from VT to Maine as well.

Click the image to open in full size.
This is from a famous view ledge called Zeacliff in the White Mountains. In the background is the famous Mount Washington.

This is taken from the tracks of the Conway Scenic Railroad bridges in Crawford Notch during fall.

And perhaps my favorite shot I have ever taken. This is of the Northern Presidential Range in winter taken from Carter Dome in Pinkham Notch.

And as I mentioned I have photos from VT and Maine as well. So even though I don't live in either of those states I will give some honorable mentions since they are both gorgeous states as well.

Taken from Mt. Abraham in VT's Green Mountain National Forest. You can't see it, but the general direction the shot was taken is towards the famous Battenkill River, which I am told has a few trout in it.

Taken in Baxter State Park this is a pretty popular pond to go spot moose (as was evidence by at least 30 other people, many with expensive camera gear themselves!)
45fisher, Rip Tide, jpbfly and 7 others like this.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Pelicans at the bay where the Rapid River runs into the Rainy River.
Sunset from the same spot but looking to the left of where the Pelicans were.
The state flower, Pink Lady Slippers.
Baudette Bay in winter, Everything to the right of the lamp post on the horizen is Canada.
The Rainy River at the Railroad Bridge.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Those photos by Brian and Dan are awesome. I might as well surrender right here and now! There just isn't anyway I'm going to compete with the photos you guys have posted.

Brian: Are you a professional photographer?

Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Very nice, I am going to be heading to the middle of Missouri this next week will try to take some pictures. Though it will be cell phone pictures since it is the only camera I have haha, but Missouri especially in the southern part is an amazing state which a lot of people sadly do not see.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Looking up river from the Brecksville Dam,

and the Cascade Valley Area, both along the Cuyahoga.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...uth-heaven.jpg
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

cool thread going here
here are some pics from my home state of alaska....

anchor point beach

anchor river near the mouth into cook inlet

anchor river way upstream

the homestead where i grew up

some locals

casey

ARFE
Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 AM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post

Brian: Are you a professional photographer?
Heh heh, me? Nah, just a fella who enjoys photography. I have an old copy of Photoshop Elements and only know how to do basic stuff with it. Just simple adjustments. That's all really. I rely more on letting the camera do the work for me.
mcnerney and kwb like this.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Everyone's photography is great!

Brian- I would argue, your stuff is professional quality, I am not a professional and like you, do it just for fun, but your stuff has soul and I admire that. I never knew New Hampshire was so scenic, absolutely beautiful!

St. Joseph River about a 100 yards from the home Muhammad Ali lived in for many many years, was actually originally built by Al Capone. Growing up here in Berrien Springs, as a kid I would visit this magic shop in town and Ali was always hanging out in there, was really cool to be able to simply hang out with him. He did a lot for our town, we are a small town, but had outstanding athletic facilities thanks to his donations.

Lake Michigan Sunset off the back deck of the place I am currently renting in Stevensville, Michigan.

Eagle and Osprey Photos from St. Joseph River.

Some St. Joe River Locals

My favorite bird Great Blue Heron "Michigan Pterodactyl"

Fall Colors - St. Joseph River

Michigan's Western Upper Peninsula

Small Tributary of the St. Joe - Grew Up Playing in this creek

Turkeys & Deer near my folks house

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Manistee National Forest

Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian miville View Post
Heh heh, me? Nah, just a fella who enjoys photography. I have an old copy of Photoshop Elements and only know how to do basic stuff with it. Just simple adjustments. That's all really. I rely more on letting the camera do the work for me.
Brian: All the photos submitted so far on this thread have been great, but your photos, like Kory said, have something special to them, not sure I can put it into words, but suffice to say they are very enjoyable to view, thanks for sharing!

Kory: What a great idea for a thread! I can't wait to see what is submitted.
Just spotted the photos you posted this morning, I love that shot of the turkeys, the fall colors on the St. Joe river and those wonderful shots of Michicans Western Upper Peninsula, some great stuff there for sure.

Casey: Those Anchor Point photos sure bring back some great memories of fly fishing that river. Thanks!
caseywise likes this.