The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default trout towns in southern U.S.

Cabin fever is infectious and my whole family seems to have a bad case. I was wondering if others could weigh in on some southern towns that support some good trout fishing?

Here's a few ive been too

- Mountain Home, Ar
the white and norfork

-Knoxville, Tn and Asheville Nc area
GSMNP, some great tailwaters and mountain fed streams

-Atlanta, Ga
Hooch, Toccoa and some mountain stream in the Chattahoocee National forrest

Anyone else know some good areas, not so much looking for isolated streams but more some areas with a variety of good options?

Thanks
Blake

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: trout towns in southern U.S.

Charlottesville, VA.
For all the eastern slopes streams of the Shenandoah National Park.

Calling Virginia the south is hotly debated around here, though.
il_wi_fishing likes this.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:45 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Charlottesville, VA.
For all the eastern slopes streams of the Shenandoah National Park.

Calling Virginia the south is hotly debated around here, though.
Ill call it the south right along with you, at least the mid south

I have wanted to visit there, it seems alot like asheville in the sense that it in the foothills surrounded on 3 side by mountains/national parks ect...

Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine used to be GM at a resort in Boone, NC
One year he invited the family down for February school vacation to ski.
The skiing sucked..... the fishing was much better
mcnerney and horseman_37601 like this.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 AM

horseman_37601 will become famous soon enough

johnson city tn. watauga tailwaters-5 miles, south holston tailwaters-20 miles. plus endless mountain streams. of course i am partial, i live here--lol
mcnerney and jeepster II like this.

"the ox is slow, but the earth is patience"
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman_37601 View Post
johnson city tn. watauga tailwaters-5 miles, south holston tailwaters-20 miles. plus endless mountain streams. of course i am partial, i live here--lol
Another vote for ne tenn. I was born and raised in bristol. Fished all those waters since I was 3yo.
Nice water and country.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman_37601 View Post
Loved the area, quick question, seems like the sales tax out there was pretty high but do you guys pay state income tax and property tax out there, i heard something about TN being a tax friendly state but sales tax was higher then Chicago

Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Lower Mountain Fork, eastern Oklahoma. (not been there, though).

Branson, Mo./Lake Taneycomo might be good for family if you don't mind cold weather fishing. I'm sure the family could find inside things to do in that place in winter.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
A friend of mine used to be GM at a resort in Boone, NC
One year he invited the family down for February school vacation to ski.
The skiing sucked..... the fishing was much better
You can catch wild 'bows inside Boone city limits if you know where to look.....
yonder likes this.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough

I will say lake Taneycomo is a great place to winter fish. They have not been running any water from the dam. The brown trout can be rather large and there is all types of lodging available from hotels with indoor pools to lake resort places with boat slip/docks on the lake. It is more river like than lake on the upper stretches. If the family is going there is all types of shopping/shows, etc and it is low tourist season with not as many older folk.