The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bottom bouncing set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by long bow View Post
Sorry, didn't know it was a question specific to an area with the question of how do you rig one up. I was just going off the main post of "Or do you somehow tie in a short piece of line that branches off the main leader?" Definitely not advocating for an illegal set up!
No apology necessary. And I know you were not advocating anything illegal. I use that setup myself under diffrent circumstances for a multiple fly rig. Just stating a fact GL Trib specific.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a video showing how to set up and fish the "Bounce Rig". Yes, there is a technique involved with fly fishing that uses something called a "Bounce Rig". I guide on the river where this video was made, the rig and technique are used very often with novice fisherman on a guide trip. It's a deadly set up on the Provo River.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Yes, there is a technique involved with fly fishing that uses something called a "Bounce Rig".
close to the name Bottom Bouncing set up. Here is the one the site I mentioned talked about putting in your leader and trolling. Other than what that one site thinks, bottom bouncing as the way he titled it is not fly fishing. But maybe he meant bounce rig. brookfieldangler, did you mean Bounce rig?
Click the image to open in full size.

He's got a ton of lead on that rig by the way. He's chuck and duck fishing without the bother of making a slinky.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Is this a style you have seen in the local tribs fished by some of the euro fly guys?

If so I know the rig.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
close to the name Bottom Bouncing set up. Here is the one the site I mentioned talked about putting in your leader and trolling. Other than what that one site thinks, bottom bouncing as the way he titled it is not fly fishing. But maybe he meant bounce rig. brookfieldangler, did you mean Bounce rig?
Click the image to open in full size.

He's got a ton of lead on that rig by the way. He's chuck and duck fishing without the bother of making a slinky.

It could have been...

Again, I only really heard this in vauge mentioning and perhaps I wasn't exactly clear but I swear I read somewhere that somebody took the spinning method and pretty much adapted it to fly fishing.

I'll have to do some research as to where I found it
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
but I swear I read somewhere that somebody took the spinning method and pretty much adapted it to fly fishing.
Yah, that's what I thought. This came up on here a couple of years ago. The way it was mentioned is rigged like this. Short heavy leader, like 3' from the fly line to the bend in the bottom bouncer. A longer, like 6' line from the end without the weight and then the fly. You let line out trolling till you can tap the bottom with the bottom bouncer. Everytime you tap the bottom raise the tip a tad so you don't drag the bottom. This is just to get your fly just off the bottom. You can't cast this rig. It is strictly for trolling. You don't need a fly rod for this at all so I don't see adding a fly rod to this as fly fishing.

They way they do what fysh showed here is instead of just a pile of lead on the end with a knot to keep them from slipping off, you take parachute cord and cut a piece just bigger than the lead will be by about 3/4" or so. Better big than to small. Pull the center filler out. Take a lighter and melt then crush the still hot end flat with needle nose pliers. Fill it with split shot and repeat the melting with the other end, except as a variation you can melt a barrel swivel into the end. If you opt to not use the swivel, just crush the molten end down and melt a hole in it for attaching the line. Other than that it's exactly how fysh showed it. A lot of the guys doing chuck and duck take the fly line clean off and just spool the reel with mono. You're not really fly casting this way, just chuck 'n duck. Technically you can do this on a spinning rod as well. Oh, and by here I mean the North Shore of Lake Superior's rivers like the Knife and Sucker etc..

By the way, if you are going to do what fish showed you really ought to use the slinky weight like I mentioned. Birds won't eat them but they will eat the tons of lead you lose his way.