The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Bottom bouncing set up (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/308214-bottom-bouncing-set-up.html)

brookfieldangler 01-17-2013 02:51 PM

Bottom bouncing set up

Anyone have a good illustration of how to rig this up?

Assuming that I am only using 1 fly, I am a bit hazy on how and where you attach the actual fly. Or do you somehow tie in a short piece of line that branches off the main leader?

I know where the weight attaches, just need help on the fly part.

kwb 01-17-2013 03:00 PM

Re: Bottom bouncing set up

Are you talking chuck & duck?

If not, just crimp a shot on your leader 12" - 18" up from your fly. You could rig a dropper by using a small swivel and have the shot on a short piece of mono if you are fishing in very snaggy rocks, but if not, just crimping a shot on your line above the fly should be fine.

If you are talking chuck & duck

Chuck and Duck Explained

jaybo41 01-17-2013 03:05 PM

I know there are different methods of doing this and you'll undoubtedly get some good suggestions from the pros. I don't do anything different than I normally would for fly placement. I just make sure I've got enough shot to get me to the bottom. A fly on the end of the leader and one tied off the shank as a trailer if you like & assuming it's within regulations. Pretty much like "the clincher" illustration.

“Seeing Double” | MidCurrent

What do I change from dead drifting is cut down on the slack in my line.

brookfieldangler 01-17-2013 03:16 PM

Not quite chuck and duck...at least not what I am thinking of...but it could be.

The way I seem to understand it is that the weight is placed below the fly.

This is probably the closest illustration I have found, but I am not sure its any different than just putting a split shot a foot or above the fly.

http://www.garyborger.com/wp-content...ing-leader.jpg

Defintely not the seeing double thing either - in Indiana, 2 fly rigs are a no no on the GL tributaries.

theboz 01-17-2013 03:29 PM

That setup looks legal. A separate weight leader would be a no no at least in the NY tribs . Personally a heavier nymph works for me most of the time without additional split shot.

Guest1 01-17-2013 03:30 PM

Just out of curiousity, where did you hear the term at? It's a common term here but does not apply to fly fishing. Except as one site saying you need to put a 2 or 3 ounce bottom bouncer in the leader and troll for Walleye. Not flyfishing even if it's on a fly rod.

long bow 01-17-2013 03:32 PM

You can also leave a foot or so "tag" left over when building your leader/tippet and tie the fly on there. I can't remember if there is an additional knot or loop here when making it, I use it only on a few rivers. And those rivers it's during the summer. And we are floating. And the weather is nice. And I'm not the one driving home so somehow I make that set up work ;)

theboz 01-17-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 517436)
Just out of curiousity, where did you hear the term at? It's a common term here but does not apply to fly fishing.

Haha! Here to! In SW it refers to a 2 to 12oz sinker with a spreader rig and multiple bait hooks. On LI all winter flounder fisherman are members of the " Bottom Bouncers" club!

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by long bow (Post 517438)
You can also leave a foot or so "tag" left over when building your leader/tippet and tie the fly on there. I can't remember if there is an additional knot or loop here when making it, I use it only on a few rivers. And those rivers it's during the summer. And we are floating. And the weather is nice. And I'm not the one driving home so somehow I make that set up work ;)

In the GL tribs of NY that would be illegal. Can't have the weight below the fly here.

long bow 01-17-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboz (Post 517439)
In the GL tribs of NY that would be illegal. Can't have the weight below the fly here.

Sorry, didn't know it was a question specific to an area with the question of how do you rig one up. I was just going off the main post of "Or do you somehow tie in a short piece of line that branches off the main leader?" Definitely not advocating for an illegal set up!

mcnerney 01-17-2013 04:04 PM

Here is a good article on how to configure a double nymph rig, not exactly what you are asking for, but take a look anyway, it will work just fine for a single nymph, pay attention to the diagram on the upper right and his drawing on what to look for on the indicator and how/when to adjust the weight.
AmericanFlyFishing.com - The Journal: Sage fly rods, Simms waders, Abel reels, Rio fly lines, Nymph fishing, fly fishing, strike indicator fishing