The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tippet knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
The ligature knot looks interesting, but way more knot than I want on a trout leader. I can't remember the last time I lost a fish due to breakage at the knot. I have had tippets break after the fish has gone to the bottom and rubbed the leader against sharp stones.

BTW - It is spelled "ligature knot", not "ligiture knot." Ligature comes from the same Latin root as ligament, religion, etc. The root - ligare - means "to bind".
Fishing size #20 Trico spinners to heavy rainbow trout on the Clark Fork requires, among other technical skills that I usually lack, a long fine tippet. 6X flurocarbon still has a breaking strength of over 3#, so you really need the very best, strongest knot you can have. The difference between a 60% clinch knot and 90% Orvis knot is considerable when you are talking about light lines. I've broken plenty of those big, beautiful sippers off at the fly as soon as they feel the prick.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Well what ever they said is nonsense. I have had the IGFA and the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame both test my leaders on a machine and give me what my leaders broke at. None test under what I have my test tippet at. NONE. I have had them do it 18 Times now. None that I asked about ever broke at a knot. Furthermore, when I break flies off on snags, They virtually never break at the knot either. Now that proves they are 100% knots. I also know for a fact that surgeons knots are not. I'm not sure what the triple is, but the double is maybe 80% at best.

Also, my friend and I tested something with a good scale that knot wars did and we found they were wrong. Not just wrong, but wrong by a lot. So with this that you are saying, I would put knot wars at 0 for 2 in what I have heard.

P.S. I stopped using Berkely line for anything years ago because it is unreliable line. Their lousy line may have something to do with their lousy results. That is except Fireline. I have trolling rods spooled with it because I can reliably put a lure just off the bottom and do it deeper than with mono. Other than that I consider Berkely a waste of money.
Wow! Can't believe I missed this post! Funny how you can be exactly on the same page with someone when it comes to the subject of knots. Blood knot all the way for me and having had my leaders also tested by the IGFA that only enforces my beliefs even more! And Berkley failed for me and failed miserably at an IGFA test so I wrote them a letter to try to correct the problem . They sent me a bunch of free tippets , haha, the same ones that failed for me! Oh boy! Use the Bimini Twist in many SW builds. .
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 PM

altos is on a distinguished road

Hi Tide.... your Orvis knot looks remarkably similar to a Davy knot (just not tied at the hook). Interesting....
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Wow! Can't believe I missed this post! Funny how you can be exactly on the same page with someone when it comes to the subject of knots. Blood knot all the way for me and having had my leaders also tested by the IGFA that only enforces my beliefs even more! And .
That's funny. Why would they think you want more of the same bad leaders?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by altos View Post
Hi Tide.... your Orvis knot looks remarkably similar to a Davy knot (just not tied at the hook). Interesting....
Good eyes, the Orvis and Davy knot are a Baker knot revised for mono. The Baker was invented to hold hooks to cat gut without pinching off the hook due to cat guts problem with getting slippery.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
That's funny. Why would they think you want more of the same bad leaders?
Amazing ! And with a apology letter enclosed for the bad leaders and more if the same!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM

jborn is on a distinguished road

I really appreciate threads like this one which teaches the great unwashed like me to do things better. I have had trouble with knots and while most of my problems have been solved prior to this thread I have had difficulty in teaching my grandsons how to tie tippet to tippet. When I saw the posting of the Seaguar Knot Seaguar Community - Seaguar Knot Details I was immediately taken with the simplicity of the knot and how the grandsons could use this technique. I tested the knot by joining 10lb mono to 10lb mono and the break did not occur at the knot. I connected 4lb mono to 4lb mono and again the break did not occur at the knot. A similar experiment with 10lb to 4lb mono produced the same result. I realize that the N in this experiment is small and different results may be obtained with tippet; it seems that for our purposes this is the knot that we will use. I hope to try out the knot next week on the San Juan and I will report my results.

jlb
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Arbor knot Main line to reel spool If a fish gets to this knot your in trouble
Albright Knot Fly line to backing. Also good for joining line varying greatly in size wire to mono 100
Bait loop Hook to leader 100 %
Blood Knot Line to line of similar sizes (not recommended for braid to mono) 80-90
Buffer loop quick knot- not recommended low
Double clinch Line to swivels and lure eyes for maximum knot strength 100
Double Uni Line to line, backing to line, leader to braid, Not best but functions quickly 80-95
Dropper loop Knot to attach second leader to line, great for dropper rigs using shrimp flies for bottom fish
Duncan loop or single Uni knot Line to swivel or lure eye. Knot slides 95
Float stopper Stopping sliding float -works but not the best knot to use
Improved Clinch Knot Lines to swivels and lure eyes for monofilament- the most basic and frequently used knot 85-90
Line to leader Fly line to leader
Interlocking loops Fly line to fly line, fly line to leader 100
Nail knot Fly line to leader. Also used to make bobber stops 100
Packers Knot Attaching yarn or bobbers below hooks for boon dogging/free drifting
Palomar knot Braided line knot for line to swivel or lure eye 95
Rapala Knot Leader to lure or fly to allow movement of lure 95
Surgeons knot Leader to tippet-Great for braid to mono when 4 turn twisted modification is applied 100+ breaks above rated line
Surgeons loop Loop for line end 100
Turle knot Leader to fly hook. Use on up turned or down turned hook eyes 90
Trilene Knot Line to swivels and lure eyes 95-100
Whip finish knot Line to hook and head of flies 100
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

After trying the blood knot a bit more, I agree that it appears to maintain excellent knot strength.

Still, it's not super easy for me to tie like it is for many others. For this reason, I'm going with the Uni-Uni knot.

The Uni knot is an excellent all-around knot and fits too many purposes to ignore.

I think I'm going to use it for everything from now on.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have had pretty good luck with using a nail knot splice with my tie-fast tool when putting leaders together. I am not sure how a big a size difference would hold up, but it seems to do ok with the leaders I have tied.

I have not done the testing that Dan does, and I only fish for trout and occasionally bass, but I have never had a leader come apart on me when I have built them this way.

I do like the simplicity of the double or triple surgeons knot for tying on the tippet when on the water, but, I have also started adding tippet rings to my leaders (with a uni-knot) when I tie my leaders at home (i drop them too use tippet rings on the water).

the nail knot splice is shown at about the 1:50 mark on the video and it is pretty quick and simple using the tool.

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.