The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 PM

hi tide is on a distinguished road
Default Tippet knots

I have been asking this question alot, what knot do you like use to tie your tippet to your leader?
I make my own tapered leaders out of rio alloy hard saltwater tippet. I go 30, 25, 20 tied with blood knots then 18.5 seaguar Gmax tippet, I tie the tippet on with a Albright or a the orvis tippet knot.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:42 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tippet knots

Blood knots all the way for me, whether 6x or 50 lb bite.
jaybo41, wt bash, dillon and 1 others like this.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Double surgeon's knot.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 AM

Surgeons knots don't work to good with fluorocarbon.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Interesting, I use the surgeon's knot all the time (fluoro to fluoro, and fluoro to mono) and have never had a problem
mcnerney, osok and nicknick222 like this.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same view as Cletus, the only knot I use is the triple Surgeons knot to tie the tippet to the leader, and virtually all the time I'm using fluoro tippet, mostly 3x-5x and have very good results. About the only time I have a failure is when I'm snagged up on something submerged and have to reef it free, but for fish it works great. I don't tie my leaders, if I was tying blood knots all the way down the leader, I would think I would get pretty fast at it so maybe I would change my mind and also use a blood knot on the tippet connection.
littledavid123 and cletus like this.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

About 20 + years ago I decided to simplify my knot thingee and switched to a Uni Knot (Duncan Loop) for ALL my leader connections. I now use these between my leader and tippet and no longer burn through leaders when I must add new tippet:

Click the image to open in full size.

Back in Summer 2010, Dave Whitlock made the argument for using this " one knot", in an article he wrote for Flyfishing & Tying Journal...it has worked for me - for a very long time...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Triple surgeons for me tippet >> leader knot. Unless I'm using heavy mono like 20 pound or more. Then I use the double surgeons.

Simple, easy to tie, strong, quick. I've tried the uni, blood, etc. and nearly always go back to surgeons due to ease.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM

I really like this knot easy to tie. Similar to the surgeons knot.
https://system.netsuite.com/core/med...a58d7&_xt=.pdf
Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I use a triple surgeons knot and cheap fc to build my leaders. I never pull hard, instead push the knot into position with your fingers to eliminate friction heat and then tighten hard. Test hard and trim tags. I treat an fc knot the same at the hook, with loving care, lol. I like to spit on them too but usually my fingers are wet enough.