The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default When Drifting or Float-Tubing...

When Drifting or Float-Tubing...

Is there any precaution that you take about possibly dropping a Fly Rod into the water?

Do you attach the handle or but to anything for security?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 AM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: When Drifting or Float-Tubing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
When Drifting or Float-Tubing...

Is there any precaution that you take about possibly dropping a Fly Rod into the water?

Do you attach the handle or but to anything for security?
You can buy rod leashes that secure your rod to your tube/pontoon. It doesn't interfere with casting/fishing too much. I own one, bought it from Cabela's. Honestly, don't use it much, never lost a rod but I can see it happening some day.

Tom
brucerducer likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I generally carry an extra rod when tubing and use one of these:

Cabela's: Cabela's Fly Rod Holder by Scotty

I don't use a leash, but they are available:

Cabela's: Rod Leash

I'm pretty careful and aware my rod is not leashed while tubing. Dropped one over the side about 4 years ago, but nabbed it before it was gone. A valuable wake up call.
mcnerney, brucerducer and long bow like this.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Mike said he does, I do the same, I love those Scotty rod holders, have two glued onto my pontoon. I would think the leash would just get in the way and become a hassle, but have never tried it. I've come close to loosing a rod overboard a couple times but so far have been lucky. In both cases, I got lazy and just layed the rod in the rear rather than putting it back in the Scotty rod holder.....lesson learned.
brucerducer likes this.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

When I use a float tube, I made a leash for my rod. I have a clip on one end and a D rind with a velcro wrap on the other. I clip it to a D ring on the tube, and wrap the velcro right in front of the reel. It doesn't get in the way and if I drop the rod it's not going anywhere. I doubt I have $2.50 in it, including the clip, which is a small price to pay to save a rod and reel that in some cases may run over a grand in total.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:07 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

+2 on using Scotty Rod holders.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Parachute cord and a piece of military grade Velcro for the handle end when I use my canoe. I never thought of the cost since I have both.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:15 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Paracord for us too, its cheap and can be made to fit your paticular casting highth. Using two cheap beaners you can clip it on anywhere and you wont loose a grand of fishing equipment. It takes some getting use to but its worth the time in my book. We use them when wading in deep water, you can swim out of a situation and still have your rod and reel.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:46 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Why a second fly fishing rod when float-tubing?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluz View Post
Why a second fly fishing rod when float-tubing?
Or third, or 4th?
1.Floating line
2. Intermediate line.
3. Type II or III DC or Wet Cell
4. Type V or VII DC or Wet Cell
Scotty's and no tethers.
mcnerney likes this.