The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Albino Rainbow

Recently caught this beauty on the Guadalupe river. Couple of pic's and then one with it swimming away.
Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and thewalker1013 like this.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Albino Rainbow

looks like a golden rainbow they stock them here in Pa. its a cross between the real golden rainbow and a rainbow trout
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Nevermind google answered my question
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty cool looking, congrats!

We have Goldens in the Winds, but they have alot more red coloring.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
its a cross between the real golden rainbow and a rainbow trout
No, it's not.

PFBC Question and Answer - Golden Rainbow Trout
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Pretty cool looking, congrats!

We have Goldens in the Winds, but they have alot more red coloring.
Is what people are calling a Golden, just an albino or is it a true species of rainbow? GRTU stocks three times a year and gets the fish from a place in MO., and each time it will have 1-3 of these in the mix of 4,000 lbs. of fish. I call them albino's for lack of any other knowledge and think they just have a gene missing.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
You posted this while I was typing my last post. Thanks for the information. After reading the explantaion I'm still confused what it truly is. We do call them palamino's here and perhaps that's the true name for this fish?lol

Whatever it is I feel extremely lucky to have had the opportunity to do battle with it. Hope it lived to excite someone else. Don't expect to ever catch another.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 AM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

It is a cool looking fish no matter what. I like distinctice fish.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Poke'Em, "The golden rainbow trout originated from a single rainbow trout that was spawned in the fall of 1954 in West Virginia. This trout's body color was a chimera of golden and normally pigmented tissue. When this fish was crossed with a normally pigmented rainbow trout, the offspring (what we have come to refer to as palomino rainbow trout) were lighter in color." Taken from you link, I think that's exactly what Sandfly had said. That fish spawned in WV was the real golden rainbow.

Here's another link with more explanation. http://www.yorkccd.org/wordpress/wp-...nbow-Trout.pdf

Larry we're talking two totally different species, one entirely man made the other a true wild fish native to California and since introduced to many high country lakes throught the western states.

Osok, its just a rainbow with a manipulated coloration.
fredaevans and watson like this.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to say Palomino. It does not have the red eyes and Albinos are white with no gold to them.

PALOMINO:

ALBINO
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Poke'Em, "The golden rainbow trout originated from a single rainbow trout that was spawned in the fall of 1954 in West Virginia. This trout's body color was a chimera of golden and normally pigmented tissue. When this fish was crossed with a normally pigmented rainbow trout, the offspring (what we have come to refer to as palomino rainbow trout) were lighter in color." Taken from you link, I think that's exactly what Sandfly had said. That fish spawned in WV was the real golden rainbow.

Here's another link with more explanation. http://www.yorkccd.org/wordpress/wp-...nbow-Trout.pdf

Larry we're talking two totally different species, one entirely man made the other a true wild fish native to California and since introduced to many high country lakes throught the western states.

Osok, its just a rainbow with a manipulated coloration.
Maybe I misunderstood him. I thought he was saying it was a cross between a rainbow (o. mykiss hatcherius) and a golden trout (o. mykiss aguabonita) which is technically a subspecies of rainbow trout. That is not what that fish is.