The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BEST/WORST Hookups...

Worst hook up involved my chesapeake bay retriever mix....

My wife was 4 months pregnant with our 2nd son. We decided to head down to Wilmington with our then 2 year old for the day. I needed to run out to the store real quick to pick up a couple things for the day. While strapping in my 2 year old I saw my spinning pole in the back of our Pathfinder. I grabbed it real quick and put it on the other side of the fence, just as my wife was letting our dogs out. As I am closing my sons door I hear a commotion over my shoulder. I turn and see my dog doing the funky chicken with my spinning rod attached to his face. You see, in my haste to get moving, I neglected to realize that I still had a rattle trap tied on my line. I yank my son out of the car and promptly toss him to my wife. At this point I can see my poor pooch has the treble hooks through his lip and his ear. I scoop up my 85lb dog and haul a** to my vet, blowing through stop signs and red lights the whole way. I get to the vet and tell them to that my poor pup needs to be seen right away. They non-nonchalantly ask me why, then I turn and show them Jamis. Needless to say they agreed with me. We're in the exam room and I am trying to keep my 85lb dog calm and quiet, which is easier said than done. Anyway, the vet tech comes in the room and tells me that they can't find any wire cutters. I tell her, "Hold my dog, keep him happy and quiet, I'll be back in a minute. Lowes hardware was two doors down, so I quickly duck inside and pick up a pair of heavy gauge cutters. I run back in to the vet and realize that 2 of the hooks have not gone all the way through. The vet then gives my dog a local anesthetic and I proceed to push the hooks through and I cut the hooks. Let me go back a minute and tell you when I returned, they informed me that the services for the day would be $210. I finished up taking care of my dog and was getting ready to leave, I put my new cutters in my back pocket and the vet tech actually asked me if I was going to leave the cutters there for them. I turned to her and replied "Sure, you can have them....for $210"
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
Worst hook up involved my chesapeake bay retriever mix....

My wife was 4 months pregnant with our 2nd son. We decided to head down to Wilmington with our then 2 year old for the day. I needed to run out to the store real quick to pick up a couple things for the day. While strapping in my 2 year old I saw my spinning pole in the back of our Pathfinder. I grabbed it real quick and put it on the other side of the fence, just as my wife was letting our dogs out. As I am closing my sons door I hear a commotion over my shoulder. I turn and see my dog doing the funky chicken with my spinning rod attached to his face. You see, in my haste to get moving, I neglected to realize that I still had a rattle trap tied on my line. I yank my son out of the car and promptly toss him to my wife. At this point I can see my poor pooch has the treble hooks through his lip and his ear. I scoop up my 85lb dog and haul a** to my vet, blowing through stop signs and red lights the whole way. I get to the vet and tell them to that my poor pup needs to be seen right away. They non-nonchalantly ask me why, then I turn and show them Jamis. Needless to say they agreed with me. We're in the exam room and I am trying to keep my 85lb dog calm and quiet, which is easier said than done. Anyway, the vet tech comes in the room and tells me that they can't find any wire cutters. I tell her, "Hold my dog, keep him happy and quiet, I'll be back in a minute. Lowes hardware was two doors down, so I quickly duck inside and pick up a pair of heavy gauge cutters. I run back in to the vet and realize that 2 of the hooks have not gone all the way through. The vet then gives my dog a local anesthetic and I proceed to push the hooks through and I cut the hooks. Let me go back a minute and tell you when I returned, they informed me that the services for the day would be $210. I finished up taking care of my dog and was getting ready to leave, I put my new cutters in my back pocket and the vet tech actually asked me if I was going to leave the cutters there for them. I turned to her and replied "Sure, you can have them....for $210"
Would have left the cutters and sent them a bill for $100.00

Dave
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been hooked twice. (Knock on wood) The fly was the least damaging. Since we had a couple of other nonfly ones, I'll toss in my other one.

I was tossing big Musky plugs for Musky/Pike one day with a friend of mine. I got a Pike right about 15 pounds and reached down to hand land it. I had done it this way a bunch of times and still do it this way, but this time it didn't go well. The Pike did a big flop and jerked out of my hand. It was hooked on the rear Treble and in the blink of an eye, I was hooked with 2 barbs on the front hook on the opposite side of my forearm from where the fly got me.

So here I was with a giant Musky Plug treble buried two barbs to the bend in my forearm with a 15 pound pike hanging from the rear Treble. Now she's setting there nice for me. I had just enough time with her setting there nice for me to think to myself, "Self, how am I going to get this back out?" when she did another really good flop and ripped the hook back out for me.

One barb came out pretty clean leaving just a hole. The other one came out sideways ripping a really impressive flap in my arm. The hole didn't bleed to bad but the flap was a bleeder. I let it bleed for a minute while I found a paper towel and a roll of electrical tape and was good as new. I'm really glad the fish got it back out for me. I was not looking forward to trying to get it out on my own.

This happened about 10 years ago and I still have the scar where the flap was, although the bottom end of it is gone. All that still shows is the top half of the flap. For a couple of years you could even see the scar where the other barb came out clean. It's completely gone now.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

Ughh Dan, that gave me chills! haha
Ive been hooked lightly a few times, but only two were that bad or could have been.

One was this october, my first week with the spey rod and I was casting rather well, I had a water logged bunny strip fly on in search of atlantic salmon.
The wind picked up a little and when I made my anchor and cast, the fly whipped around and smacked me in the back of the head, hooking onto the snap in my hat and pulling it off. It could have been much worse but I think the salmon gods were just giving me a smack in the back of the head to remind me to pay more attention.
You spey guys know yourself how much power is in each of those casts, pheww

The second one was this august when I was fishing a nymph rig, tandem flies and I screwed up somehow and the fly whipped around and the 16 scud went all the way in my forearm, with just the eye sticking out.
So the next day after not being able to figure out how to get it out I stopped into the hospital and had it surgically removed, then treated myself to going back to the river.
Click the image to open in full size.
see the hospital bracelet?
lthrnk03 and shotgunfly like this.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 PM

schooner36 is on a distinguished road

Talked to an ER nurse in Newport, RI. A guy came in with a big plug hanging on a treble hook just under his eye. He had been in a blitz and the plug came out of the striper under a lot of pressure and ended up there.

Don't know how much coffee the doc had, but he asked the guy what # test the striper was using and how long it he fought it before the line broke. After everyone calmed down, they removed it and added the plug to their collection.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Pushing the "like button" just doesn't seem appropriate for this thread.

Dave
Guest1, lthrnk03 and shotgunfly like this.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 PM

double dry is on a distinguished road

Was guiding a client on a very cold winter day. As I was tying up a small midge larva, I got in a hurry and wet the knot as I pulled it tight. Well, my hands were so cold that I lost the grip on the fly and promptly pulled the bug into and under my tongue. We were fairly far from my truck, so I ended up snipping the tippet about 2" from the fly and we continued to fish.

He mentions it every time I see him.......
Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Now that's gnarly Double Dry!!!
shotgunfly likes this.