The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Nearenuf is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing Camp Amenities

Good Morning Anglers.

I am in the process of building a fishing camp in Central Mass near Quabbin Reservoir and the Swift River. I am interested in hearing from fellow anglers about what they believe are "Must haves" at my camp.

I know this opens me up for some good jokes. but please think about your experiences at fishing camps and lodges and get back to me with suggestions. Jokes are fun too.....

Tight lines to you all.

Paul
Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing Camp Amenities

blender :-)
Ice
tequila
etc

....a place to hang wet stuff would be really nice
oarfish likes this.

Last edited by mikel; 01-22-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: to try and actually help
Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Good rod racks protected some from sun and wind. Plenty of antler hooks to hang waders, vests and stinky long johns on. A well stocked tying bench with a couple of vices and lights. And extra large ice cubes for extra good whiskey. Oh, and guides that won't disappoint a knowledgeable client.
dillon likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM

Thanks gentlemen. How about a porch to sit on when sipping that "extra good whiskey"?
mcnerney and yonder like this.

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a camp in that general area (Stafford/Monson), but it's a camping camp. The only permanent structures are the privy, a shed and a play scape for the kids

The barbeque pit gets a regular work out as does the second cooking fire pit.
If we had a built-in smoker that would too. It'll come someday. It's all about the food

Click the image to open in full size.

It's nearly time for the annual Christmas tree bonfire !
Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

A Honda 2000i generator. The '1000' just doesn't put out enough power to be that useful. I assume there will be lots of folks when your there and being able to 'string lights,' run electric fry pans, etc., makes 'Cooking for the Masses' an easy call.

Right down to using a slow cooker (God I love those!) to have dinner ready to go when you get off the river.

Good call on the pic with the Dutch Ovens. Know a couple of Guys who are MASTERS with those. Amazing what you can cook in/on cast iron. Even here at home, if appropriate, I'll pull out the fry pans, even for the oven. Lid on that and everything 'steam cooks.' A Pot Roast? Tender, Oh so Tender! Chuck in the cut up Veggies and in at 350'ish ....

Good eats!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM

The fire and BBQ pit will come in handy. The slow cooker is a great idea.

Thank-you. Keep the good ideas coming!

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodangler View Post
The fire and BBQ pit will come in handy. The slow cooker is a great idea.

Thank-you. Keep the good ideas coming!
Another thing 'we've' done was a rice cooker (along with the slow cooker). Put in the water and baking Potatoes with a 'power line splitter' and timer and set for a couple of hours before expected dinner time. Hummer cuts in, steams the Spuds, and both are ready to go (test out the time to cook Spuds, the more, the longer they take to cook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Worst case with the home test is you have plenty of makings for Potato Salad, etc. Guys will eat that too; just a first day lunch. Not a food group you want to hold over 'for later.' Want more, just make more.

Want more for 'tomorrow,' just fire up the Colman stove and boil more Spuds and go from there.

Odd off but one fellow brought a small micro wave oven for what ever his turn to cook. That 2000i ran like heck to provide the needed power, but the 'add too' the dinner was killer.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:11 PM

wtl is on a distinguished road

A good work table with a vise, and a few basic tools. Stuff breaks.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

from looking and reading all the other post, lots of TP !
jaybo41 and jeepster II like this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..