The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Rod and Reel Log

Jaybo raised a point I consider worthy of a new Forum subject; a rod and reel log. I have often remarked how frequently I switch lines on reels in an effort to fine tune a given rod's performance. I have boxes of fly lines on spools inscribed with line model, size, leader type and date of use. OK, fine, but on a reel, unless you want your reels festooned with those gooey little line stickers, which line is mounted where? I keep a Word Document "Rod and Reel Log" in my documents which I update upon mounting a line lest I forget. I keep the sweet and salt water outfits separated but notate them the same way; date of acquisition of the reel, rod it is intended to mate with, amount and type of backing and what line, size and the date of rigging. If significant to me, I sometimes include the location the set up was originally intended for. I only keep rods and reels currently in a fishing quiver in my log; those that have slipped from use into the archival collection are deleted so as not to overload my computers RAM. How do those of you with multiple outfits keep tabs on what matches with what?
fredaevans, jaybo41 and caseywise like this.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rod and Reel Log

I use key tags with the little clips. Write the info on the tag and clip it to the zipper/handle or some part of the reel case.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Not that I have a ton of gear yet or do a lot of experiencing with lines on different reels (yet) but I see the benefit of organizing all the info.

I was wondering if there was some kind of 'polling/spreadsheet' functions on this forum that allows us to record the data (reel brand, size, weight, arbor, etc) and what it balances/matches well (rod/line) etc. Might be helpful for those of us looking to match it without going through all the work.

The best I can think of is a shared spreadsheet on google docs that someone hosts but lets anyone (with a google account) log in to view it (and maybe edit it).

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I use a spreadsheet to keep track of everything, rods, reels, lines of spools, and lines that match specific rods. I still put a sticker with the reel notating date of line purchase and the specifics about size and taper - but the sticker is paired with the reel case, not the reel or spool.

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to give proper credit where it's warranted. Chi had a list of sorts of his rods and reels that he shared after loading up his quiver. After looking at his and then thinking about the pile of rod tubes in my corner and reels in my reel bag, I figured it was time for me to make a spreadsheet to keep track of my inventory. No stickers on reels for me. Right now I just have one sheet going, but if I wanted to add other pieces of info as to locations fished, prices paid, etc, it would be easy to do by adding another sheet using Excel.

By the way sweetandsalt, those files will take minimal hard drive space on your computer. More than likely less disk space than a higher resolution photograph that you may have on your hard drive. RAM isn't really affected by your hard drive space until you are getting towards a full hard drive. Assuming your computer is at least Windows XP or later, you more than likely aren't going to have disk space issues.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

A 'five star' thread. Idea's being brought forward that had never occurred to me. Too simple, to easy, and darned effective. I've used a perm-marker pen to notate line info on the bottom of a spool, but what if you chuck the line/swap it out for something else?

Some really great ideas coming forward here.

fae
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

One thing I forgot to mention: In addition to digital data (I was making fun of myself, Jaybo, I have an i7 Maingear desktop with 2 Terabytes of storage and 16 GB of RAM, but with 40+ year's accumulation of tackle...) I like reel cases that feature a plastic window like Abel and new Orvis reels come with so I can insert a slip of paper with the line information, date of mounting and my cell number on it.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I just keep a fairly simple spreadsheet on excel. I log rod length ,wt,action and total weight. I then have a separate section for the reels that houses model number,wt ranges, weight and line currently spooled.

The rod section references the reel section for pairing. I also throw in a little color coding.

Green = love it
Yellow= pretty good, switch it up if a good deal comes along
Red= never use it , possible items to sell if need me.

The wife thinks I am a dork, she is correct
jaybo41 and shotgunfly like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM

Another thing that has occured to me is it probably a good idea to enter the serial number of rods and reels into one's data base if applicable.
jaybo41 and shotgunfly like this.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Another thing that has occured to me is it probably a good idea to enter the serial number of rods and reels into one's data base if applicable.
I have to ask.

I'm assuming that the manufacturer records (when I register) a rod/reel to me, that is if the serial # is unique. Can this help locate a stolen rod or reel if it's being sold on an auction site? I would think/hope so.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com