The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice
Default Re: Essential fly fishing gear

Forgot indicators and sunglasses
Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutchaser8 View Post
What is your "essential fly fishing gear"?
Here's mine:
1.rod, reel , and line outfit
2.leader, tippet
3.flies
4.vest with nippers and forceps
5.waders
Don't need the vest but do need some way to hold stuff, whether pockets on your clothes, a fanny pack, a sling pack, a lanyard or something else.

Sometimes you don't need waders, sometimes you do. Depends on time of year. (Also whether you're wading.) You need felt soled or cleated footwear either way, though.

I would add floatant, fly shake or something else to dry off soaked flies, polarized glasses, and a hat. I always try to have a fly patch too, but the hat will do in a pinch.

Bug dope and sunscreen aren't absolutely essential, but it's always better to have them than not.

I usually bring a neckerchief or bandana or towel of some sort, to wipe off my hands, but I can get by without.

Update: 45fisher mentioned probably the most essential item of all -- your fishing license. What does it say that the rest of us didn't?

Last edited by moucheur2003; 01-23-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added mention of fishing license
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

I can false cast to dry flies. It may be helpful to have flotant but I dont REALLY need it. I have 4 large C&F fly boxes so i do need a vest.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

I always - I mean always - carry a lighter (and a cigar). Seriously, though, something bad happens and you're way out there, you have a lighter, you're going to live.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I'm flats fishing I always have a compass and a whistle.
You can get turned around if a fog roll in and that can be deadly on a rising tide
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutchaser8 View Post
I can false cast to dry flies. It may be helpful to have flotant but I dont REALLY need it. I have 4 large C&F fly boxes so i do need a vest.
I find if I'm fishing familiar waters, I don't need much

Click the image to open in full size.

One of the best tricks I've learned in a LONG time was to use a rubber band to restore a sodden dry fly. It works like a champ. I shot a clip showing the process, but I don't know how to post it. You basically hook the fly onto the rubber band (leaving the fly attached to your leader). You stretch the rubber band out, then pluck it a couple of times. Works like magic. Trust me the explanation is much more complicated than actually doing it.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Pszy, what's the wine cork for?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45fisher View Post
Fred,
I know you are not picking on us …but…
You are probably right about taking too much...but being a former military guy and now just an ole'f**t... I still finding myself going places to be away...a police whistle would do me no good.

Ya gotta have someone to hear it for it to work, bears sometimes don't care if it's a police whistle, and the 2-legged varmits don't care all the time.

As you stated if you have phone service...that's the reason for the SPOT. Same reason for the wading staff and the steel cleated wading boots...found myself looking up at the sky too many times and always thinking one of these days I may not be able to get back up.
I carry the spare rod (5 or 7 piece packable) because sometimes it's a long way back to the truck to get the spare...most of the time it is up hill and sometimes the truck is not available. (Dropped off for pick-up at a later time)

Oh and I also forgot the camera…to prove the lies!
And did I mention the 'Boy-Scout' items needed?...lighter,matches...

Larry
I hear you Larry, I hear you on several points. I forgot the wading staff as 'essential equipment.' I never step in the river without the tip of that going in first. Mine is a solid wood shaft with a pound of lead wrap on the bottom. That tip stays on the bottom! Which is exactly where you want same ... especially when you need the thing the most. Mine was built for me in the UK by a fellow who calls himself 'The Stickman.' (You'll find him easily via Google.)

Just my .02 cents again, the 'fold up' wading staffs do just that ... fold up when you need them the most.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I cant believe everyone forgot a net. I hate hooking a large fish with no net.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of the guys who carry way more than I need to. Although if I need it for some odd reason it's there. Most of the time I fish the two hand rods. I have a bag for that stuff. I didn't show waders, or my hat or anything like that, but the first is the two rods in cases, the bag, and my stripping basket. The second is the bag dumped out and showing all of the stuff in it.

The lanyard is all that goes in the water with me.