The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 12:50 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice
Arrow Essential fly fishing gear

What is your "essential fly fishing gear"?
Here's mine:
1.rod, reel , and line outfit
2.leader, tippet
3.flies
4.vest with nippers and forceps
5.waders
Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Essential fly fishing gear

rod, reel, vest/pack, lunch, water, dog, and maybe bear spray or gun depending where i am fishing..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutchaser8 View Post
What is your "essential fly fishing gear"?
Here's mine:
1.rod, reel , and line outfit
2.leader, tippet
3.flies
4.vest with nippers and forceps
5.waders
What?
No floatant?
No split shot or moldable lead/tungsten putty?
No indicators?
Hat for sun and fly in the ear protection ?
Polarized sun glasses?
Hook hone?
Fly patch to dry used flies?
No wading belt or boot gator unless part of the wader?
Iris scissors to trim and modify flies?
Packable light rain/wind jacket?
Chapstick and several Advil pills?
Small bottle of water?
Mosquito repellant in season?
Sun block or a neck gaiter?

Due to age, I always take flip focals, wading staff, and a cell phone

You really don't need a vest for your list, just a fishing shirt with pockets for the fly box and a lanyard will do. I do need a vest.
jaybo41 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-23-2013, 01:36 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Rod, reel, loaded vest(species dependent), pack w/lunch, spare rod, water, license, wading staff, waders(weather dependent), wading boot with cleats, SPOT (Sat Messenger), 1st aid-kit, GPS, hat, glasses, head-lamp/flash light, phone, talk-about radio(when fishing w/others)and maybe bear spray and/or gun ...

A lot of stuff...but I usually go all day.

Larry
Old 01-23-2013, 01:36 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Silver you pretty much covered my essentials with your expanded list.

Only things to add to it: when needed are Ultrathon a Buff to keep sun off my neck and bugs at bay. Coffee, got to have coffee.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just my .02 cents, but most folks carry far more 'stuff' than really needed. As noted above (save for my Yellow Lab Sandy) if it can't go in a couple of pockets, or a cord (forceps, file, nail clipper AND A POLICE WHISTLE) clipped to my shirt front, do you really need it? Add one fly box and a spool of leader; beyond that I don't need it (well waders/boots type of stuff).

Rain coat. If required or with a cold wind blowing. Breathables make a hell of a wind breaker. Amazing how warm they are with a bit of layering underneath.

But lets go back to the Police Whistle for a moment. You really get into trouble there is no way you can shout loud enough for anyone to hear you unless they're within 50 yards. The first line of 'defense' for you're up shxt creek is your cell phone if you have service where you happen to be. Water proof it?

Simple. Put it in a freezer grade zip lock bag or just have a tight belt around your middle of your chest waders. Keep as little clothing tucked inside your waders as possible (leave the vest, coat, what-ever) out side. Even if you take a full on dump in the river you'll be amazed HOW LITTLE WATER will get past that belt.

As for the belt, the best thing I've run into is the Simm's back support belt. In every sense of the term, this 'Adds to the party.' Especially if your 'old.'
pszy22 and Mrtrout like this.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

After many years I only take The Bare essentials,I have Culled my Vest Out as I was carrying gear I used every Blue Moon however if I'm going for a week or more I throw a few more items which will probably be needed.
When Fishing Rivers I initially would take my Aluminium Walking Stick,now because I have been seeing quite a few Snakes I have changed it to a Green Tree Branch which I can use not only for wading,Support & if neccessary it can be used as a "Snake Donger" as a couple of weeks ago I actually came across a Snake on The Beach where I wanted to Fish & had left my "Donger" 100 yards away.
Brian.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Good call on the whistle Fred, you are nothing without safety, especially at our age.
S.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:20 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

couple years ago i went fishing in CO when on business trip. I had this, rod, reel.
I stopped by store, bough a leader and some flies, and walked the river back to the resort.

I firmly believe folks over-complicate the whole process.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Fred,
I know you are not picking on us …but…
You are probably right about taking too much...but being a former military guy and now just an ole'f**t... I still finding myself going places to be away...a police whistle would do me no good.

Ya gotta have someone to hear it for it to work, bears sometimes don't care if it's a police whistle, and the 2-legged varmits don't care all the time.

As you stated if you have phone service...that's the reason for the SPOT. Same reason for the wading staff and the steel cleated wading boots...found myself looking up at the sky too many times and always thinking one of these days I may not be able to get back up.
I carry the spare rod (5 or 7 piece packable) because sometimes it's a long way back to the truck to get the spare...most of the time it is up hill and sometimes the truck is not available. (Dropped off for pick-up at a later time)

Oh and I also forgot the camera…to prove the lies!
And did I mention the 'Boy-Scout' items needed?...lighter,matches...

Larry